Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2020, 06:08 AM   #1

Just installed LVT flooring in our Thor

As our contribution to make America Beautiful, we've upgraded the floor in our 2013 Thor Hurricane. I did massive research on materials, finally settling on Lifeproof (formerly named Allure) from Home Depot.
I was really concerned about the stories I've read about vinyl planking expanding and contracting at temperature extremes. We don't travel to wintery cold places and although we live in Florida, even in storage the temp inside doesn't get above 110.

I did learn that there's cheap vinyl and good vinyl. Halstead, the company who makes Lifeproof for HD claims in their specs that it expands and contracts less than .25% per lineal foot. With the small area inside the coach, I calculated less than 1/32"of an inch dimensional change possibilities.

Nevertheless, I (mostly) floated the floor. It's glued only around the stairwell and the edge that extends a little beneath the main living area slide. By the way, I was glad to find my suspicions were correct that the slide would retract easily and without scarring the new floor.

I was prepared to lay it over the existing factory installed sheet vinyl. I was not relishing the thought of pulling up a sticky mess and perhaps damaging the OSB wood beneath. But I cut a strip up of the original vinyl just to see what was underneath. I was totally shocked to discover that the original floor was not glued at all. I took a box knife all the around the inside perimeter of the floor and in about 30 minutes had it all ripped out. Even better, the OSB was perfect everywhere.

Took about four days (I have LOTS of free time these days) to lay the floor and do the trim-out. We love the updated look. If you're wondering about weight, a carton of Lifeproof weighs 33 lbs and I used 9 cartons. 300 lbs got me a new floor.

You can see the sofa is missing. It's still at the upholsterers. As with so many other RV's built around this time, ours had the flaking problem. They were a mess. Got the dinette and Captain's chairs back already. The look like a million bucks! We can't wait to get back out on the road. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200409_142729.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	281078
Fairfieldwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2020, 06:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfieldwiz View Post
As our contribution to make America Beautiful, we've upgraded the floor in our 2013 Thor Hurricane. I did massive research on materials, finally settling on Lifeproof (formerly named Allure) from Home Depot.
I was really concerned about the stories I've read about vinyl planking expanding and contracting at temperature extremes. We don't travel to wintery cold places and although we live in Florida, even in storage the temp inside doesn't get above 110.

I did learn that there's cheap vinyl and good vinyl. Halstead, the company who makes Lifeproof for HD claims in their specs that it expands and contracts less than .25% per lineal foot. With the small area inside the coach, I calculated less than 1/32"of an inch dimensional change possibilities.

Nevertheless, I (mostly) floated the floor. It's glued only around the stairwell and the edge that extends a little beneath the main living area slide. By the way, I was glad to find my suspicions were correct that the slide would retract easily and without scarring the new floor.

I was prepared to lay it over the existing factory installed sheet vinyl. I was not relishing the thought of pulling up a sticky mess and perhaps damaging the OSB wood beneath. But I cut a strip up of the original vinyl just to see what was underneath. I was totally shocked to discover that the original floor was not glued at all. I took a box knife all the around the inside perimeter of the floor and in about 30 minutes had it all ripped out. Even better, the OSB was perfect everywhere.

Took about four days (I have LOTS of free time these days) to lay the floor and do the trim-out. We love the updated look. If you're wondering about weight, a carton of Lifeproof weighs 33 lbs and I used 9 cartons. 300 lbs got me a new floor.

You can see the sofa is missing. It's still at the upholsterers. As with so many other RV's built around this time, ours had the flaking problem. They were a mess. Got the dinette and Captain's chairs back already. The look like a million bucks! We can't wait to get back out on the road. Attachment 281078
Wow, that looks amazing.
DubGrpArctek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:07 AM   #3

Great job - be proud!

The new flooring goes very well with the table and sofa.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfieldwiz View Post

You can see the sofa is missing. It's still at the upholsterers. As with so many other RV's built around this time, ours had the flaking problem. They were a mess. Got the dinette and Captain's chairs back already. The look like a million bucks! We can't wait to get back out on the road. Attachment 281078

Wow this is awesome it looks so nice.
Their is nothing better then being able to say you did that.....
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #5

Beautiful!
Old 04-10-2020, 08:33 PM   #6

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.
Fairfieldwiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, flooring, install, led, thor