Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2018, 11:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Not true! Why do they make filters for almost every car and light truck? When have you ever heard of a engine destroyed because of a K&N type filter?
Dirt doesn't destroy an engine, it just prematurely wears it out. I believe your statement of a million miles, but maybe you could of got 2 million? There have been dozens of studies on this, none credibly supporting K&N. I use to live down a 1/4 mile dusty road. I tried the K&N in my Dodge diesel. It was spotlessly clean with the stock filter. Not so with the K&N. When I pulled it, I could draw nice little circles in the dust in my intake. The reason they sell so many is 1) They look cool, and 2) People will buy lots of thing that isn't good for them. Same with Marvel Mystery oil. I have customers that swear by it, until I show them how it cruds up their plugs.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #16

We had a Powerstroke service truck go from using a qt of oil in 5,000 miles to a qt in 1500 miles. When we checked the intake tube, it was coated with dirt that got through the K&N filter. This happened over a two year period and 30,000 miles.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Been using K&Ns for a million miles. Never a problem, no dust past filter, improved gas milage, slightly more performance, and saves replacing and servicing. Please believe all the naysayers...
Since my first posting in this thread I have sat back and read the responses with some amusement. Some jockeying back and forth to be sure.

Sorry Fiesta48 if you feel like you are being picked on. It isn't personal I assure you.

I had a 2001 Buick Park Avenue that I upped the boost on the supercharger, added a big exhaust and added a cold air filter system that used a large K&N filter. I drove it 200K miles that way flogging it hard most of the time. The fact that it didn't destroy my engine does not invalidate the test data.

No one said K&N filters would ruin your engine. Their anecdotal evidence and the test data say that current paper filters are better at keeping out dust particles and are less restrictive.

Fiesta48 said,"saves....servicing." K&N filters do NOT save servicing. You still have to take the nasty thing out, wash it with soap and water, let it air dry, re-oil it getting enough oil and not too much. Servicing the K&N is a much bigger hassle than popping in a new paper element.

Again...just sayin'!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
We had a Powerstroke service truck go from using a qt of oil in 5,000 miles to a qt in 1500 miles. When we checked the intake tube, it was coated with dirt that got through the K&N filter. This happened over a two year period and 30,000 miles.
Commonly referred to as "dusting". You're experience was not unique. As I stated in my previous post, MANY members at thedieselstop encountered this as well. Mine was not quite that severe, but fortunately my Blackstone Labs oil test gave me advanced warning about silica in my oil.

As for "power increases" and "HP gains" claimed by K&N, there were many dynometer tests done that showed power LOSS. This particular test was done by a leading car magazine. I'll see if I an find it.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, f53