Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2015, 11:41 PM   #1

K&N Filters

I have a 2013 Thor ACE with a V10 on a Ford Chassis. I have been told that a K&N filter will give me an extra 2-3 MPG is this true
divingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2015, 12:28 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No.

Years ago I experimented with a K&N and all I got was less money in my wallet.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:57 AM   #3

That's a good one. No you will not realize that kind of gain. In all honesty I don't know that you will gain anything at all with the aftermarket filter (mileage or HP). I have given them plenty of my money over the years.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:40 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
And if you travel to far from home, you'll fall off the "the Earth".
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:34 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
If it sounds to good to be true. It usually is.

I had a 83 MH with a 454 engine 3 speed transmission.
Added Banks exhaust to it. NO MPG gain.
Added a US Gear overdrive unit. NO MPG gain.

Traded it for a MH with ISB engine & 6 speed. Gained 4 MPG.
Added a K&N HD air filter to it. NO MPG gain.
But has saved $$$ not having to replace paper filter every 2 years.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:35 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
I run K&N air filters in all my cars and my Harley. Engines are nothing but big air pumps and the more air that moves through equals more horse power. I've never seen any gas mileage increase. I have a gas V10 and didn't even consider putting in a K&N filter since it does add more noise from the engine breathing in more air. Since your sitting on top of the engine that wouldn't be good at high RPM.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I you could get that kind of gain, wouldn't all cars come from the factory with them. The government is onto car companies about fuel efficiency all the time

Yes I tried one on my previous V-10 and didn't see any improvement in MPG
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
If it sounds to good to be true. It usually is.

But has saved $$$ not having to replace paper filter every 2 years.
I agree with Triker56 on this.

I have a K&N filter in my MH and I don't get any better fuel mileage. The only way I save is, I take the filter out, clean it, put new oil on it and I don't have to buy new filters all the time. Other than that it is not worth the money.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Be very carefull with the amount of oil you use when re-oiling and the length of time you allow the oil to soak in and "dry". This has caused sensor failures in the intake system when oil mist is carried past MAF and throttle position sensors. I would not bother to put one on a new rig, they have already done what can be done to get cheap mileage increases so all you stand to gain is a problem. Better to spend a couple bucks every 20,000 miles.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #10

Back when we had an earlier Safari Trek with the GM 6.5 Diesel engine, a rep from Penninsular Diesel engines gave a presentation at a Safari convention Peninsular Engines | The Power You Need…Now. Penninsular is a major provider of 6.5 Diesels for the marine market.

Someone asked about K & N filters and the rep advised against using these. His story was that, even when properly oiled, their analysis showed an increase in Silica (basically fine sand) getting through the filter to the engine.

Having said that, I acknowledge there are always two sides to any story. I just offer this as information with no intent to start a flame war...

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingdoc View Post
I have a 2013 Thor ACE with a V10 on a Ford Chassis. I have been told that a K&N filter will give me an extra 2-3 MPG is this true
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here are three web sites with filter info I have collected from threads over the years. They all indicate the K&N filters pass more silica than many others.

ONE
TWO
THREE
Old 03-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use to put K&N filters on everything when I was younger. Usually, the only thing they added was more noise because on many the housing was changed. Now that I'm older, wiser and have a little more money, I just change my filters more often and use quality ones.

Just my opinion, but I would NEVER install a rechargeable/cleanable filter on a diesel engine. These type of filters get their improved performance claims by passing more air, which equates to me.....more dirt, especially on a sensitive diesel engine.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I use to put K&N filters on everything when I was younger. Usually, the only thing they added was more noise because on many the housing was changed. Now that I'm older, wiser and have a little more money, I just change my filters more often and use quality ones.

Just my opinion, but I would NEVER install a rechargeable/cleanable filter on a diesel engine. These type of filters get their improved performance claims by passing more air, which equates to me.....more dirt, especially on a sensitive diesel engine.

I agree 100%. Air filters are designed to filter air and keep out dirt.. More air flow through a filter equals larger holes in filter thus more dirt that can get through. Dirt can kill your engine. Worth it to me to change the filter more often even if it costs more, it is much less than a rebuild or a new engine.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Don, you are absolutely spot on.
The only way to improve on the OEM Ecolite Filters is to replace with a good Donaldson Canister Type Assembly but that Is a whole other topic.
In short "You can buy a lot of air filters for the price of one engine rebuild"