Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
KAYAKS: how to bring along

My wife and I are very fond of kayaking, we used to camp in trailer and kept kayaks on rack over the truck bed, now with MH we don't know how to carry kayaks, other than the obvious of putting on top of towed, I am looking at racks for this now, but take trips to some places without towed and wonder if there is any practical way, short of buying a small trailer, to carry them.

Wonder if anyone has ever seen a rack that might mount in the receiver?

Ideas?

Please do not say roof of MH, my fear of heights rules that out!
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #2

We also love to kayak. We tow a small trailer that also holds our two kayaks and our two 50cc scooters. Works well for us.
Dan and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
According to the length of the kayak(s) they might be stood upright on nose (or tail) in a hitch rack. WELCOME TO RVKAYAKRACKS.COM - THE FIRST VERTICAL RV KAYAK RACK - YAKUPS ? brand WHY LEAVE FUN BEHIND?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have friends that purchased a pair of inflatable kayaks from this place and LOVE them. The do look very nice and store in a reasonably small space: Inflatable Kayaks | Buy Paddling Gear | Inflatable Paddle Board | Inflatable Kayak For Sale
Old 04-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just bought a 10.5' fishing kayak and next week am having a hitch rack made at the weld shop. I bought a crank up lift (made for lifting RV covers) from Camping World. It fits at the top of the ladder. I will have him make a cradle that I can fasten cables through and strap down. I will fit caddy corner on the back. If you are interested, I will post pics when I get it done.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ours are 13 and 14 feet long. Tried everything, and decided that the roof of the toad was the best option. Most of the time we need the toad to get to a lake or waterway anyway, so it worked out for us. If you find a solution for hauling a couple of the longer touring kayaks that does not require a toad or a trailer, please post it here. I would be very interested! Best luck! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Ours are 13 and 14 feet long. Tried everything, and decided that the roof of the toad was the best option. Most of the time we need the toad to get to a lake or waterway anyway, so it worked out for us. If you find a solution for hauling a couple of the longer touring kayaks that does not require a toad or a trailer, please post it here. I would be very interested! Best luck! \ken
I too have my 10' kayak on the roof of my toad. But here's another option:

I've seen these modular kayaks at a boat show, very interesting!

Point 65N Modular Sit-In Kayak Set, Tandem: Recreational at L.L.Bean

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We have a Hobie Tandem inflatable kayak with the Mirage Drive pedal system. The bag is heavy, but folds up to about 4'x3'x18".
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #9

I just bought a tandem inflatable Sea Eagle kayak. Someone recommended them on this site. I have only used it once but was happy with it. Has skegs to keep it from drifting. Not expensive. Folds up to a small, storable size.
FlaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote