Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #57

moth balls, i put them in the compartments, it has keep them out for the last 2 yrs. i leave them in my sewer hose compartment all yr round, gives the compartment a better smell. 1 or 2 balls depending opn the size of the compartment. works for me
Redcatcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #58

mice?

There is a really good way, although you need to be careful with the product. I go to the local concrete plant, get a bag of lime, and make a 2 foot wide path all the way around the RV. Lime burns the feet of pests like rodents and they will not come anywhere near. The problem is that it also burns the feet of pets and children, and RV owners, too, so sometimes the places you can use it are limited. We used to set up temporary office structures in remote areas, usually trailer type units, we put lime underneath the units before we skirted them in, and they almost never saw pests. I say almost because sometimes doors are left open, and rodents can be quite crafty.

Regards
avalancheMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcatcher View Post
moth balls, i put them in the compartments, it has keep them out for the last 2 yrs. i leave them in my sewer hose compartment all yr round, gives the compartment a better smell. 1 or 2 balls depending opn the size of the compartment. works for me

The problem with moth balls is it will make the snake leave as well...

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:42 AM   #60

Buy 2 mature white rats that you can handle.

Keep them in a large cage, the mice should exit the area in a hurry.

White rats are fierce fighters and hate black rats and mice.

If all else fails, turn them loose over night and they will kill everything moving and will come to you when you call them if they know you are the one that feeds them.

We cleaned out my Dads barn like that when I was growing up.

The little guys loved to ride on my shoulder while riding my bike.

Wally C

05 Monaco Knight 38' 330 Cummins 4 slides
trpwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #61

LOL! I like the rat idea best - sounds like true justice - get a rat to get rid of the mouse! But what if they decide they like the wild life better than coming back to you? Now you have replaced the tiny cute little mice with HUGE ugly "mice"!

Second best suggestion is taking that electronic repeller into a pet store to try it out! I want to be there - just the thought of that is hilarious! But it is true - none of those electronic things, for insects either, have seemed to work for me.

Seriously, although cleaning helps, as in the examples above, rodents will eat many things, including your linens and clothing and especially wiring and insulation ... so it is critical to eliminate them before they munch up a repair bill for you.

I owned a couple of small beach motels for a while, and the mouse and rat problem required constant diligence. First line of defence is close all entry points that you can find. Appliance vents, the holes for your power cord and hoses, roof vents - block or screen them all.

I would never recommend using poison of any kind INSIDE. Outside is fine, but if that rodent hangs around nibbling on things, he could very well crawl into a wall or ceiling and die. The stench of that decomposing is horendous. My brother had to rip out an entire wall to remove the rotting carcass of a poisoned critter. And even worse, if you are not around and it rots in your MH, it can take months to get rid of the smell.

Our most effective solution turned out to be the cheap, old fashioned mouse and rat traps. And peanut butter seemed to be the preferred bait. As stated earlier, do NOT put them inside and draw them in. Put them outside the MH. On top of the wheels is good, but also put a few around the perimeter - never hurts to draw them AWAY from the MH. Put some near where they actually enter the storage area.

Check the traps frequently - you can't catch one if there is already a dead one in the trap. We ran a trap line of about a dozen traps and checked them twice a day, caught a bunch, and after about 3 weeks pretty much cleaned out the neighborhood!

You CAN prevail! LOL Good luck!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote