Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2021, 05:01 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Keeping track of maintenance and repairs.

Just wondering what people are using to keep track of PM's and repairs.
With my Air Force background I'm thinking of something that is like aircraft forms or equipment forms that stays with the MH. I'm also a bit of a techie guy and wouldn't be apposed to digital and keeping major reciepts.
Yesterday I started a log book/journal. I think I have to come up with something so that I can sleep better. Normally I'm a great sleeper and require about 8 hours. After many years of research and waiting for retirement we finally have our DP. I know the excitement will tone down eventually but for now it's got me too pumped to sleep well.

Yesterday,
Installed Directv reciever to check rooftop sat. ant.
Installed Echo charger

Today hopefully,
Install pro fill battery system
Install extend a stay propane
Pull cover on engine and see if engine is 2006 or 07. (ISL 400)
Etc, Etc.......
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2021, 12:58 PM   #2

FWIW....

I started tracking repair, equipment install, & maintenance information after buying my first ocean going boat...

They have multiple systems, all with maintenance schedules, and it's hard to keep track. An old salt showed me his boat maintenance log, and I was hooked.

I made a Filemaker Pro data base for this purpose and consequently adapted it to my cars, trucks, motorcycles, and now my motorhome..

The Filemaker Pro database was very slick, with container windows for scans of receipts and such... Sadly, several years ago, Filemaker changed to an expensive monthly fee for updates... I didn't need/want/choose to pay their price ..

My original database doesn't work on current 64bit operating systems, so I made a much simpler, Excel spreadsheet to track all maintenance. Unlike a database, it's not searchable (other than manually going through it), but I can live with that...

I keep a binder for all my vehicles, and print out a "log page" for each maintenance/repair/install item, and keep it in the binder.. I put the log page copy in a plastic sleeve, along with any pertinent receipts and/or install instructions for the job. I also have the spreadsheet on my computer for reference...

Here is one of the log pages for my RV...

Yes, I've been told I'm a little anal about my record keeping. In my defense, each time I sold a boat, car, truck, or motorcycle... I gave the new owner a printed copy of this log. They were all impressed and it helped sell the vehicle for top dollar...

Good luck with your decision..
Old 02-01-2021, 01:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I also keep a detailed log of maintenance and upgrades in a spreadsheet. Also log all of our trips, where we stayed how we liked it, preferred sites etc....
Old 02-01-2021, 01:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
With my Air Force background I'm thinking of something that is like aircraft forms or equipment forms that stays with the MH. I'm also a bit of a techie guy and wouldn't be apposed to digital and keeping major reciepts.
Yesterday I started a log book/journal. I think I have to come up with something so that I can sleep better. Normally I'm a great sleeper and require about 8 hours. After many years of research and waiting for retirement we finally have our DP. I know the excitement will tone down eventually but for now it's got me too pumped to sleep well.

Yesterday,
Installed Echo charger

Today hopefully,
Etc, Etc.......
okcnewbie,
While you have USAF experience in triplicate, (Yeah, I was in too), don't make this any harder than it needs to be.

I don't know how computer savvy you are but, as spk64 suggested, a spread sheet is actually fairly easy to set up and use. Microsoft Word has a good one called Excel. And other word processing programs most likely have them too. But, that's what I use. Once you're in a spread sheet, you can manipulate the blocks and lines to suit your intentions.

At the top of mine, I have all the pertinent information about the coach. Year/make/model/Vin/chassis build date, coach build date, GVWR/GAWR/fuel amount/water etc.

Then, I have basically three columns. One is for parts and part numbers, and where they were purchased, phone numbers etc. The second column is for mods and alterations, changes to anything. The third column is for maintenance, oil changes, brake checks, repairs on worn or broken items and generally anything that might go in that column.

It's really not hard to set up. But, the only thing I don't like about it is, if my computer goes south for the winter, and decides to never come back, I loose my data. So, it's good to back up your stuff every now and then on something like a flash drive or portable hard drive.

You can use a paper and pensile for this too and, some like it better than messing with a computer. It's a choice thing.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Something else I do along with the spreadsheet is keep it on Dropbox and also download any manuals I need and store those on Dropbox also. This allows me access to the files from any device anywhere. Phone, tablet, desktop, laptop, etc...
Old 02-01-2021, 05:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm quite familiar with both Excel and Access. About 15 years ago I made a database to track a dozen test stations that I was responsible for. I'm really rusty though.
I'm trying to use the KISS principle since I won't be getting paid this time.

I think maybe an app or spreadsheet. If I can find a Access file to download than maybe I'd use that.

In the mean time I think I'll keep writing down things that I notice need done.

Two things I noticed today; The 1/4 - 1/2 turn lever by the engine cover was rotated and was loosening as it was closed. The PO had a zip-tie holding it.
One of the nuts that hold the shrader valve cable was missing. How does that even happen. This MH is gonna require a bumper to bumper going over as time permits.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:55 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've seen several posts on IRV2 from folks who developed their own maintenance software. I just use a standard legal pad in a binder to record everything, maintenance and upgrades. Works for me!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:04 PM   #8

Boy, I guess I am kind of out of it. I keep track of our MH and car maintenance with next due date in the "notes" in my smart phone. Then in my calendar I schedule these maintenance items when they are due. This works for me, but I must be missing something because this just sounds too simple compared to what you guys are talking about.

Ed
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:37 PM   #9

I made up a spreadsheet on my Mac laptop (Apple Numbers is free and very similar to Excel). Rows are chronological. Columns are date, miles, maintenance item, materials/parts ID, purchase place (handy if online link), notes. Its not too formal and I have many notes in it. I use red color coded "NOT DONE YET" in the date column to remind me of an upcoming planned item.

Lately I have been compiling fluids and parts ID on a separate tab (sheet).

Rows can be added for planned maintenance as desired.

Just need to make sure to back it up somewhere once in a while.

PS: I also maintain documentation of mods and major house repairs I make to the motorhome. Mods are also entered in the maintenance log. I keep a running list of mods in a Pages (like MS Word) document. For those few that warrant, I write up a technical description of the mod, and any operational instructions and checklist that are warranted. Wherever there have been wiring changes/additions, I draw a schematic in EazyDraw and paste a copy in the tech description and also may include a parts list. Some of my mods I take pictures of during the process, intending to do a writeup for this and other forums (I am behind on a couple of those).
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:45 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a 9X12 manila envelope with lines drawn on the outside. I write the date, miles and service performed on the outside.

Then I put the receipt inside and place the manila envelope in the pouch behind my drivers seat. I'm on my fourth envelope.

Both my cars have the same envelopes in them.

When I sell a vehicle ALL the records are right there in hand.

I don't trust computers.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post

Yesterday,

Installed Echo charger

Today hopefully,

Etc, Etc.......

Buy a gasser change oil and lub 1 or 2x a year including Genny.
That’s it in 8 years of ownership. Can remember that easily.

Tags
air, maintenance, repair, repairs