Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 03:20 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Keyless Entry suggestions

Well after being locked out of my motorhome and waiting hours for a locksmith to arrive and let me back in I decided to replace the lock with a keyless entry lock. Sounds simple but after researching its not as easy as it seems.
So I seeking some suggestions from others that might have experience with such a task.
I have a 2020 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. From what I’ve learned I have to remove the current lock just to measure the opening to find the right lock if one exists. That in itself I’m really not interested in doing cause if I mess something up I have no lock at all. I get it its pretty simple process, but my current lock has a remote so its obviously wired in there somewhere so I dont want to mess that up.
I wish I could find the light up handle type since i have a lighted handle outside the door but Ive not been able to find anything that I can use as a replacement keyless entry handle.
Anybody have any suggestions I’d surely appreciate it.
wyatt183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 08:01 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I installed this item onto my 2019 Discovery

https://keylessentrylocks.com/index....roducts_id=129

The door already had an electric lock, there is a key fob and a switch on the dash which would lock and unlock the door. I hooked the touchpad in to the wires coming off the back of the switch on the dash. I added a pair of relays to isolate the systems, but expect that was not necessary.

DW and I agree this is the best and most used upgrade we have made to the coach, and we have made quite a few upgrade/changes to the coach. It is very nice not having to question if you have a key when going for a walk with the pooch.
GypsyCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:54 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You can do a hide a key. Sometimes though, it's the door latch that gets jammed and doesn't work. Do you have a powered driver's window? One of the mods several of us have done on our Newmars, is to put an external switch on the powered driver's window. A spare key hidden in the engine bay for the bay doors, grab the ladder out of the bay and lower the window and climb in.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:18 AM   #4

my powered drivers window has to have ign turned on, but a great idea, but my elec drivers seat does not so would have to power the drivers window in same manner.

GL
SmilingSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:58 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Dutch Star Don I did that, bought a key box with a combination and hid it under the coach….but that is last resort, I like the idea of keyless. The current key fob works about half the time so I do keep the keys handy.

GypsyCoder I like that lock and I’m guessing it works with your current door lock but regardless something for me to look into…thank you.

Smiling Sam: My drivers window isnt a power window…
Old 06-24-2021, 01:46 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Without seeing what your door lock looks like, PTL is the manufacturer of most of them. See if you can identify it as a PTL lock or go to there website and compare it to there locks. If it's one of theirs, see if they offer a straight across swap for keyless. I identified mine as a PTL and changed it from black metal to stainless to match my trim package.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:03 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Thank you Dutch Star…i will give that a try….appreciate the help.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:57 PM   #8

Call TriMark in New Hampton Iowa. I installed the lighted grab handle with keypad on my Ultimate Advantage last spring. Best upgrade so far and very reasonably priced. Locks/unlocks door and compartments turns on porch lights etc, etc, etc. If you have an understanding of electrical relays you can do it.
Some previous owner punched extra holes in the side wall using different handles. I was already doing some body work and patched and repainted the extra holes shortly afterwards.
https://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/zPlat...categoryid=190
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grab handle parts.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	334017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grabhandle.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	334018  

Old 06-29-2021, 08:30 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Thank you Sanger…this is exactly what I would like to have…I have a lighted handle it’s just not attacked to my door locks….but this would be great….Thank you I’ll contact them and see how it goes.