Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2016, 09:20 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Kitchen plumbing I'm having a plumbing problem with my 2014 Pheaton LH. There is a 2"

I'm the new owner of a 2014 Phaeton 42LH. I believe the plumbing in the kitchen sink is wrong as there are no water traps under either sink. The two drains join together in the middle and then there's a vent pipe about a 2 inch pipe that goes up at a 45° angle towards the back of the cabinet. This pipe is wide open at the end. When I drain the sink the water comes gushing out this pipe.

1.). Should there be water traps under the sinks in the kitchen?

2.). Do I need to call an RV service company to fix this work in a regular plumber do the job?

3.). As I'm new to the RV world, is it possible that this is plumbed correctly and
the water is just supposed to flow out underneath that vent pipe?

Thanks for your help!
Redbear7938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2016, 09:34 AM   #2

Usually there is this on the end of the vent which allows air in but no water out.

Sure-Vent 1-1/2 in. x 2 in. PVC Air Admittance Valve-39016 - The Home Depot

Dave

2002 Thor 32' Citation 5th wheel
davidc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You have a Hepvo waterless trap under the sink and the uncapped pipe might be the air admittance vent to the tanks (all waste plumbing is vented, just like your house plumbing). Replace the AAV valve (as the previous poster suggested) and all should be fine.

On your waterless trap - if you need to clean it, do not run mechanical things through it as they will damage it. You can use Liquid Plumber and the like to clean it.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear7938 View Post
I'm the new owner of a 2014 Phaeton 42LH. I believe the plumbing in the kitchen sink is wrong as there are no water traps under either sink. The two drains join together in the middle and then there's a vent pipe about a 2 inch pipe that goes up at a 45° angle towards the back of the cabinet. This pipe is wide open at the end. When I drain the sink the water comes gushing out this pipe.

1.). Should there be water traps under the sinks in the kitchen?

2.). Do I need to call an RV service company to fix this work in a regular plumber do the job?

3.). As I'm new to the RV world, is it possible that this is plumbed correctly and
the water is just supposed to flow out underneath that vent pipe?

Thanks for your help!
like the picture above theres supposed to be a one way vent valve on the open pipe and that pipe should be level or above the bottom of the sink
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:16 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
They all have air admitance valves, but that alone doesn't replace a 'P' trap.
I've never seen a sink without a 'P' trap .
Old 12-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
They all have air admitance valves, but that alone doesn't replace a 'P' trap.
I've never seen a sink without a 'P' trap .
funny I was thinking the same thing but based on his post its obvious it came from factory without one BUT the open pipe hes talking about also obviously has the admittance valve missing in action
Old 12-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin uses Hepvo waterless traps for a number of sinks in a coach. Look them up, they are the same as a P-trap, they just don't need water to function.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Tiffin uses Hepvo waterless traps for a number of sinks in a coach. Look them up, they are the same as a P-trap, they just don't need water to function.
that will certainly explain the fact of no regular gooseneck for sure but not the major water leaks hes taking about
Old 12-24-2016, 12:49 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the good info. I'll get the AAV referenced above and see if that solves it. Shakedown cruise continues.
Redbear7938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
that will certainly explain the fact of no regular gooseneck for sure but not the major water leaks hes taking about
I agree.
I don't think the AAV is there to stop grey water. When your sink is draining, the AAV opens up to allow air in. If they missed installing a AAV on the OP's plumbing, it cant get any more open than that!
Old 12-24-2016, 01:44 PM   #11

Quote:
I agree.
I don't think the AAV is there to stop grey water. When your sink is draining, the AAV opens up to allow air in. If they missed installing a AAV on the OP's plumbing, it cant get any more open than that!

I think you are missing the point.

The OP's drain water is taking the alternate path of least resistance as its rushing out of the sinks, and that's the open vent line.

A one way valve at the end of the pipe as mentioned should resolve the over flow issues by stopping water flow out, but letting air flow as needed in.

Merry Christmas to all

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:52 PM   #12

Well, I don't have the Hepvo waterless drains in my coach, but, I'm sure I could remove the AAV and drain the sink, without water gushing out of the pipe that the AAV screws onto.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Well, I don't have the Hepvo waterless drains in my coach, but, I'm sure I could remove the AAV and drain the sink, without water gushing out of the pipe that the AAV screws onto.
The AAV closes when there is 'positive' pressure in drain line and opens when 'negative pressure' is present

Remove your AAV, fill sink and then drain sink.......
Weight/volume of water running down drain line would cause positive pressure until it slows down and THEN AAV would open allowing air in drain line.
W/O AAV that full sink WILL gush out open stub pipe for a little while

So go ahead and try it.....then after cleaning up post how much water did come out of stub pipe where AAV should have been

AAVs OPEN almost immediately when draining grey tank so 'p' traps do not get sucked dry.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:43 PM   #14

Can't test it, my coach is currently winterized with antifreeze.

When you dump your grey tank, air from the roof vent displace the grey water.

Tags
heat, plumbing