Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 10:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Kohler Slip Rings

Took on the task of replacing the slip rings on my diesel Kohler. Not a job for the faint of heart. Was able to do it without removing the generator, total labor time around 8 hours. Parts included new slip ring, new brushes, new brush holder cost about $100.00

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 11:34 AM   #2

Good Afternoon Dan

I am just going through the same process on my 12.5 kw Kohler/Perkins.

I was not so lucky with the price of my parts in Canada - Approx CAN $250 including taxes. At least they had them in stock at the Kohler Dealer.

Plus there was the purchase of the puller and some other tools.

I am not sure what was the cause and what was the effect on mine but the brush holder on the engine side slip ring was worn, causing the brush to be misaligned and shortened to 1/3 the length of the rear brush. Also, the engine side slip ring had a .060 deep groove in it. This is in comparison to the rear slip ring and brush which was just polished without any evidence of wear.

I hope to get it together today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	generator.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	136965   Click image for larger version

Name:	generator parts.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	136966  

Old 08-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDMcL View Post
Good Afternoon Dan

I am just going through the same process on my 12.5 kw Kohler/Perkins.

I was not so lucky with the price of my parts in Canada - Approx CAN $250 including taxes. At least they had them in stock at the Kohler Dealer.

Plus there was the purchase of the puller and some other tools.

I am not sure what was the cause and what was the effect on mine but the brush holder on the engine side slip ring was worn, causing the brush to be misaligned and shortened to 1/3 the length of the rear brush. Also, the engine side slip ring had a .060 deep groove in it. This is in comparison to the rear slip ring and brush which was just polished without any evidence of wear.

I hope to get it together today
Mine had the same goofy grove on the ring closest to the armature. The generator had 1025 hours in it. Now that I see how easy the brushes are to replace, I will check them often and bought one additional set to keep in the motorhome. Partsfortechs.com is the best place to get a great deal on parts. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #4

Its common to polish the slip rings and just replace the brushes... would you share the length of the old brushes you removed in relationship to the new brushes... 30% - 40% etc.. and please share why you decided to replace the slip rings and not just service them.....
Old 08-24-2016, 09:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
Its common to polish the slip rings and just replace the brushes... would you share the length of the old brushes you removed in relationship to the new brushes... 30% - 40% etc.. and please share why you decided to replace the slip rings and not just service them.....
One brush was still at 80% the inside brush (nearest motor) had broken apart and the remaining spring had torn up the slip ring. No way to service a gouged up slip ring.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:53 PM   #6

Jelag:

Here are photos of my old (top) and new (bottom) brushes, old (black) and new (white) brush holders and the slip ring. If you look closely at the black brush holder, you may see the highly worn slot which allowed the brush to flop around with the resulting extreme wear on the brush and the slip ring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Brushes.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	137052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brush Holder.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	137053  

Name:	Slip Ring.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	137054  
Old 08-24-2016, 10:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Jelag:

Here are photos of my old (top) and new (bottom) brushes, old (black) and new (white) brush holders and the slip ring. If you look closely at the black brush holder, you may see the highly worn slot which allowed the brush to flop around with the resulting extreme wear on the brush and the slip ring.
Looks like you got it done! Scariest part for me was pounding (lightly) the new slip ring on the shaft. I used a deep socket but met a lot of resistance for the last 1/2 inch as the shaft cuts grooves as you install.
Ran mine tonight for an hour under max load with both AC's on high.
I am a drag racer and AC is very important on long weekends
Old 08-25-2016, 06:00 AM   #8

Dan:

My service manual described what was to be done, but was woefully inadequate on saying how it was to be done.

I went out and bought a 3' piece of 1/2" all-thread and used it along with a socket as a puller to pull the slip ring and bearing back onto the shaft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bearing Installation.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	372.3 KB
ID:	137062  
Old 08-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Dan:

My service manual described what was to be done, but was woefully inadequate on saying how it was to be done.

I went out and bought a 3' piece of 1/2" all-thread and used it along with a socket as a puller to pull the slip ring and bearing back onto the shaft.
That was smart!