Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 12:09 AM   #1

Question Koni Front Shocks Killing Me Harsh Ride. Airbags? or European Stiffness

Just bought a Western 38 pusher with Peak Chassis. Monroe shocks looked old and Put Konis in. My ride is super harsh. I need help to first make sure my aftermarket Firestone front air bags are properly inflated and each one is even. Now I get a slight drift to the right and I am not floating around as much but man are these things stiff. Have also heard that my Peak may need an adapter for these shocks but haven't heard that much. I am ready to E-bay these and try Bilsteins but want to make sure my airbags are spot on. My factory airbags say 70 pounds but need help with the airbags right now.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #2

I am a little unsure what you are saying about the air bags. Typically the air bags are automatically inflated and controlled by the ride height control valve on a DP. Are you manually inflating the bags? How do you know you have 80 psi in the bags, just a curiosity question.

Shock absorbers do not typically control the harshness of the ride. The main factor is the spring rate. If the bags are overinflated you will have a very harsh ride.

Could you please elaborate on the inflating the air bags.
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:24 AM   #3

I am totally lost as well, and our previous coach was a 2003 Alpine 38'.

First, I would suggest posting in the Alpine Coach section of irv2:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/

That is where many of us with a lot of first hand experience with Alpine coaches and the Peak chassis "hang out".

RIDE HEIGHT determines amount of air in the air bags. Have you verified ride height? If not and need instructions, tell us what year coach you have and we can provide that information. You have FOUR ride height valves.

What Koni shocks do you have. The new 99 series Konis have been widely acclaimed by those (including me) who have installed them.

What tire pressure are you carrying front and rear?

Pulling to one side could be caused by a number of different issues-- a brake caliper handing up, tires themselves, incorrect ride height, alignment (particularly caster), etc.

Start with the inexpensive basics first and give us more info on exactly what you have if you want assistance.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:58 AM   #4

I had a problem with the front ride height being to low in the front. The coach would slam when it hit an expansion joint in the road. The air bag would compress to the internal stop when it hit the joint. It was about 1 inch low. Adjusting the ride height up an 1” solved the problem.

Some Konis shocks are adjustable, if your are try a different setting.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:31 PM   #5

1000 Thanks to all replies. My first DP. Not exactly a 24' Ford Jamboree!!. I slowed my roll and started reading instructions for my AS-120 Neway Steer axle suspension. When I installed my Koni 99B-3209 shocks I just assumed that was it and was riding on nearly flat Firestone 115MO front air bags. I adjusted them up to 10.3" which is the Factory Neway height. Pinched in the sides and they feel like at least 70 pounds and my rig rose a full inch at least. 1/32" difference between the two and it rides great. Now my question.....Will the Firestones be the same height as my factory Neways. It's a 2004 and guy had some cognitive issues so didn't get the story on rig. He was really wealthy and maintained it well. Is there a place I can actually get a pressure reading on these bags?
Old 11-26-2020, 09:40 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I'm 99% sure Neway suspensions utilized Firestone bags. Shouldn't be an issue.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:48 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Konis did this to my Bay Star (F53) and if I didn't sell it I would hav put the Bilsteins back on the front. My Ventana has a very nice ride and I don’t want to stiffen it so Im going with HWH active air - expensive but also the best alternative available.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Don't forget about tire pressure as well. Too high and it will ride very stiff.

Tags
ags, air, airbag, koni, shocks