Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #1

Kwikee 32 series

I just changed the door switch , it was fine .
Now it open and close but it seem like the motor continues pushing for three or 4 seconds ...making a tac tac tac noise ...
Would it be the sensor is not really well aligned with the magnet on the door?
thanks in advance .....
The motor , gears and controller are new .....
mrwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a similar problem at one time.There was a mechanism to tell it when the steps were in. I am sorry but I don't remember but I think it was on the step mechanism and made contact at full close. Look around under the step and follow any wires.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:12 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine made the same noise when it came in, replaced motor, computer, pull the gear box down and open it up and I bet you will find chipped off gear teeth. That was my problem.

Time for a new gear box.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:59 PM   #4

I think you'll find a damaged gear or possibly the three 'buttons' that actually drive the gear are disintegrating. The motor is instructed to shut off when a certain torque value is met, as judged by the microprocessor control unit. As the gear or buttons are getting broken up the motor will just grind until a big enough piece or gear tooth comes into play. Sounds horrible but it's an easy fix. You can remove the motor/gear assembly and get it matched at an auto parts store. The typical installation uses an automotive power window motor, usually Ford. A good parts man will be your very best friend.
Just be very careful to disconnect the power to the steps before you get your hands up in there.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Like a crunching sound ?
Pull the Motor and disassemble- There is a Plastic gear in there that wear's out - Available at NAPA or O'Reilly -- Like 10 Bucs.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:04 PM   #6

In the motor gear assembly are 3 plastic cushions (buttons) that couple 2 gears together.
They have flattened out and slip when the stairs reach the end of travel. The controller does not see the necessary current rise to shut the motor off when the cushions slip.
The following link shows the cushings.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...ushings&pos=25

See cushions installed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/71-93-FORD-...DOPmQrJuxqTDKg
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #7

I just check the motor and the 3 bushing were worn ..... replace then=m and now the step is ok ...thanks for all replies ......
mrwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:29 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwrench View Post
I just check the motor and the 3 bushing were worn ..... replace then=m and now the step is ok ...thanks for all replies ......
Good News ! Nice Job !!
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwrench View Post
FWIW, there is no stop switch, the motor controller senses increased amperage draw and disconnects 12VDC electricity. Exactly like an auto electric window motor, in fact an older Ford electric window motor is a replacement option.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee