Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Kwikee electric step quit

Wiinie 2010 Vista. On a long trip stopped at a campground and the steps would not extend. Repair service replaced the motor and when we got home, after the steps were cycled maybe 10 times, it went out again. The local repair guy said it might have been a defective motor replacement. Replace the motor and on another trip it acted up again working sometimes. Is there an electronic module or something else that could be the problem?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2016, 08:31 PM   #2

There are few different model of these steps.
Some with electronic controllers.
Sounds to me like you may have more of an electrical issue then a motor issue, because you stated that it was intermittent. How long ago was the motor replaced and did you inquire about warranty?

Here is a link which may help

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...888-Rev-OI.pdf
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:17 PM   #3

There are several things that can cause this.

Bad Ground. Slide under the coach, and find the large green or white wire from the controller that is bolted to the chassis. Remove the bolt, clean the surface, and reinstall. It will have a star washer on it to help complete the ground. Some conductive grease on reassembly will protect the ground.

Bound step. This can be mechanical (from damage and bent components, which will be obvious) or simply die to poor lubrication. If the step is bent, it is possible that it can be straightened and start working…worth a try. If it needs lube, put the step part of the way out and remove power by shutting off the batteries, or step power switch halfway through the step cycle. Then remove the cotter pin and clevis that hold the step mechanism to the linkage. This has to be done when the step is partially out so that there is no in our out force from the motor/linkage on it. Once the steps are free they should fall into the out position. If you need to manually push them in and out, they are in a bind. Use liberal amounts of PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench in all the joints and in the round pivot tube joint under the steps. Once they are free, use some more PB to get them nice and clean. After that, lube them with spray grease, I like CRC Red. Reassemble and see if it’s working.

Bad component. There are basically four components; the step, the motor/gearbox, the linkage, and the controller.

Motor. The most likely to go out is the motor.It can be removed by removing the four bolts that hold it after the linkage clevis has been removed. It will still be hanging by wires, but now you can disassemble the gearbox to see if the plastic gear inside is stripped (most common problem). If it is not, then the next step is to cut the wires and hook them up to a 12 volt source. If the motor spins, reverse the wires and see if it will spin the other way. If it does, the motor is good. If not, replace the motor/gearbox and make sure the step is in good shape and lubed so your motor won’t go out again.

The linkage. When the linkage goes it is usually obvious. There will be broken parts or pieces so worn that they bind.It can also be replaced.

Controller. This is the least likely component to go out, though it can happen. If all the other pieces check out AND you have good 12 volt power and ground, it is possibly the controller.

All of the parts discussed are available online, Amazon seems to be our friend in terms of price and availability. Prices vary a LOT, so shop it carefully.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:44 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Unless I missed something in the previous helpful posts... no one mentioned the most common problem. If your steps are controlled by the door opening and closing you have a magnet at the outside bottom edge of the door. That magnet activates the electrical circuit in the magnet sensor at the bottom edge of the door frame. The wires are very small and break easily. It has been my experience that if the steps malfunction intermittently, it is usually that sensor. With the step disabler switch off wiggle that connection while opening and closing the door. That sensor gets banged every time the door closes. The sensor is way cheaper than the step motor. Let us know if you get it fixed.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
Unless I missed something in the previous helpful posts... no one mentioned the most common problem. If your steps are controlled by the door opening and closing you have a magnet at the outside bottom edge of the door. That magnet activates the electrical circuit in the magnet sensor at the bottom edge of the door frame. The wires are very small and break easily. It has been my experience that if the steps malfunction intermittently, it is usually that sensor. With the step disabler switch off wiggle that connection while opening and closing the door. That sensor gets banged every time the door closes. The sensor is way cheaper than the step motor. Let us know if you get it fixed.
Interesting. Yes, that could certainly cause the problem and a good tip. Haven't seen this except if the sensor has mechanical damage from coming loose and getting caught in the door/mechanism.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:37 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I have seen it many times and fixed the issue many times. The problem is not the sensor itself but the small wires that connect to it and run upward in the door frame. All the sensor does is close the electrical circuit magnetically.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:49 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
I found this on youtube and it fixed my step problem. I was about to replace the motor until I tried this.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
Many coaches have brass contacts in the door jamb. Do you have these? If so, clean them up and wipe a little electrical No-Ox on them. You can get this in HD or Lowe's electrical departments in a small tube. I carry this stuff with me and use it on my shore plug too. Good preventative.

Rick Y
Old 11-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #9

A testing document from the manufacturer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee troubleshooting.pdf (392.4 KB, 53 views)

Tags
kwikee