Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #29

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ranger,
Try removing the ground wire for the control module and cleaning it. You might get lucky.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks John, if the rain stops I'm going to do some more tests today. I have a feeling it is either going to be a ground issue or the control unit is shorting out internally. I'm also going to pull the motor and inspect it.

Here is a good write up on replacing the plastic rollers on the inside of the motor. I'll post this info here in case that link ever goes down. The replacement bushings are available at just about any parts store, Motormite/Help line or Dorman is the manufacturer, part number 74410. From prior experience with these type of motors the grease gets pretty hard inside and the plastic also breaks apart causing the motor to struggle to operate.

http://rx4rv.com/archives/89

I'll post more more once I get into it and hopefully come to a conclusion on it.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well I am kind of at a loss. After testing everything I think I have come to the conclusion the motor is shot. I did the testing on the plug connector from the coach and have power everywhere except the door jamb wire. I have 0 volts when the door is open or closed. I believe that this wire gets it's signal from the controller.

I have also ran a direct 12 volts to the motor while installed on the steps and it does not retract the steps all the way, so I also think the motor is shot. There is no binding of the steps, they move freely by hand in and out once the motor was removed.

It looks like the plan is to order a control module and a new motor. I will install the motor first and check to see if it operates. If not then I will install the new control unit.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you do need a motor here are some possible sources for inexpensive replacements I have saved from various threads over the years.

" 1) AM Equipment 402 E. Hazel St Jefferson, OR 97352, (541) 327-1546 the motor is $29 plus $7 shipping.

2) www.rvdealership.com that sells a repair parts kit made specifically for these units - includes gears.

3) Replacement step motor at AutoZone. It's a Siemens "Window Lift Motor", part number WL43003.

4) Autozone. The brand is "Siemens"
The ID tag lists the following numbers:
59720-20

5) A 1986-1995 Ford Taurus left front window lift motor matched my motor. NAPA part # BK655-1395 $63.99 I ordered my motor from Auto-Zone Manufactured by Dorman part# 742-206. This has a lifetime Warranty and was $49.99. "

Also these guys rebuild the circuit boards: HERE
Old 12-31-2010, 04:03 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the tips Clay. I will probably order one from Autozone so I can get the lifetime warranty. Now if I can just find the control unit for under a $100 I'll be happy.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger429 View Post
Thanks for the tips Clay. I will probably order one from Autozone so I can get the lifetime warranty. Now if I can just find the control unit for under a $100 I'll be happy.
The guys in the last line of my post above charge $75 to rebuild your control board. So far I haven't heard of any problems with them.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
The guys in the last line of my post above charge $75 to rebuild your control board. So far I haven't heard of any problems with them.

The real old control unit's can be rebuild. Since late 98 early 99 they are full of epoxy and are not rebuildable.
DESERTFOX19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:37 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Thanks again. If necessary I'll see if he can rebuild mine and also order a new one that way I have a spare. After plenty of research on the Kwikee steps it seems like they have a lot of problems.

I found this article which IMO gives a bit more detailed information on how the steps work and testing the wiring. After going over it I have one more test to do to verify wether it is the motor or the control unit.

http://www.rvweb.net/tech_lib/Quickee.html#operation
Old 01-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger429 View Post
Thanks again. If necessary I'll see if he can rebuild mine and also order a new one that way I have a spare. After plenty of research on the Kwikee steps it seems like they have a lot of problems.

I found this article which IMO gives a bit more detailed information on how the steps work and testing the wiring. After going over it I have one more test to do to verify wether it is the motor or the control unit.

Kwikee Step Tech Info
Thats a good site I filed it for future use.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTFOX19 View Post
The real old control unit's can be rebuild. Since late 98 early 99 they are full of epoxy and are not rebuildable.
On the site they mention that some couldn't rebuilt but I didn't see any dates. I was hoping the later ones could be. Oh well...