Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #1

kwikee step conversion kit

I had a series 32 Kwikee step set up on the Bounder, but motor died over Memorial Day. I bought the conversion kit and installed it today. I didn't install new magnets in door and jamb. However it opens and closes very nicely...only problem is when I shut the door - steps extend. Open door, steps retract. Just the opposite what they're supposed to do. I turned engine on to see if something would "reset" but to no avail. I unplugged the controller harness between mhome and controller, then shut the door, thinking that might "reset" it, but nope. So what do I need to do? Thank you in advance.

Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
At first guess. I think the magnet switch is different between the two units maybe. Sounds like the magnet switch for your old door had the switch opened when the door was open and closed for the door being closed ( or the other way open when door was closed etc) The new conversion might want the switch to be opposite of what the old contoller did. such as if the old door had the switch open when the door was open the new controller needs the switch open when the door is closed. if that is the case it would give you the symptoms you describe.
see if the magnetic switch is normally open if it is then get a normally closed switch. YOu can unwire the switch and put an ohm meter across the wires then hold a magnet up to the switch and move it away this will tell you if it is normally open or normally closed when the magnet is moved next to it
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
There are 2 magnets normaly open and N closed just switch the sensor in the jam it will fix it.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #4

Confirming Gemini's suggestion, I just did the same conversion. The instructions state:

"Control unit #909510000 requires a normally open switch. If you are replacing a #9513, #9516, #9590 control unit, you MUST also replace the door switch. The new control will not work with older, normally closed switches."

Hope switching the door units solves your problem.
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need to replace the switch (Just it, not the magnets)

The old Kwikee controller was kind of box like (A retangle) and as I recall (this could be backwards) the swich CLOSED when the door opened.

The new one is more triangular (Actually a trapizoid) in shape, and the swich state is the same as the door state (As I recall) that is switch open if door open.

I could have the switch states backwards.. but you need to replace the switch (The sensor part) no need to fix the door magnets though, they work the same either way.

Tags
kwikee