Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #1

Kwikee Step Fix Older Class A units

I'm putting this out to whoever is experiencing problems with your older Kwikee step units. I have a '95 HR Cummins/Allison 33' pusher. Started experiencing step activation problems 3 months ago. After some testing discovered that the motor/drive assembly and the step itself were working fine ( no binding, grinding, etc.). The problem appeared to be the step controller...a small triangular plastic box next to the step itself underneath with a wire harness coming out.

After spending $185 with some gyrations from the "techs" at Lippert Components (Kwikee step company) , bought a new controller. It only worked for a week. The door magnetic switch they sent with it was the wrong one. Why didn't I know about that??! Bottom line is this...they now tell me that there was a 50/50 chance of this not working with my new part...news to me after the fact!

This fix is easy and reliable...took me a while to figure it out...simply install a DPDT momentary rocker switch prewired for reverse polarity at opposite switch positions (works just like a car window switch). Order one from Del City electric components, it's part number 7700060 and costs about $25. The switch is already setup to reverse the polarity in each of the two rocker positions and it rests in the middle which is "off", bottom line... open the dang steps when you want them down. Close them when you want. Stop messing around with control units and suspect wiring in your unit which may or may not be good...Us older folks need to simplify our lives...Just sayin'
FBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #2

KISS, love it.great fix.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Thanks for the tip!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #4

Good idea. Thanks.
One thing the controller does is make sure you don't drive away with the steps out. Prevents that "senior moment".
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #5

You're exactly right...Let me speak to that point.It took me two years of rving to get a grip on all systems which potentially can get fouled up concerning the "big unit"!

For example, neglecting to check basement doors before venturing off. I did this one and lost a brand new step stool which slid right on out of the compartment during my left turn in town. Or how about over-filling the fresh water tank right before a trip...the tank mysteriously starts to siphon/empty on it's own and continues to drain all the way to my destination leaving me with no water when I arrived! Or how about this...as you get ready to pull out of the camp spot you and the Mrs. are having a lively discussion about something. You start up the unit and attempt to leave without retracting the levelers!

Or here's a good one...how about spending an entire weekend at an event in a 100 degree parking lot camping and for some unknown reason your propane generator just can't find it in it's heart to run to power your AC or what-not. I have a smaller spare generator on a small rack on the back of the unit...comes in handy from time to time, believe me! Having to manage manual switch on the steps has to become a habit or you need a "large print" sign on the inside of the door reminding you to not fall out of the unit. All this to say, running a big rv is not a joke and can't be taken lightly. If you're not handy or can't fix stuff probably better that you just drive your car or fly!?
Just Sayin'
FBurg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, kwikee