Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #1

kwikee step issues

Hello...my step quit working...i followed the kwikee diagnostics..ran 12 volt to the motor..it extended,,reversed the polarity and it retracted,,i assume the motor is ok..checking the chassis plug..main power good.override good and power to ignition override..when checking the door switch..no power from plug..door open or closed..so per kwikee..bad switch...replaced...still no go..also the step light is not working,,,any suggestions...thanks
gastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like maybe a problem with the wiring going to the door switch.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am having the same problem. It is back at CW for the 3rd time. All 3 times they replaced the motor, controller and door switch. Steps work for a while then stop. Did all the same checks all a-ok. There may be a bunch of defective control assemblies out there.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like you blow a fuse.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:59 PM   #5

I had a similar problem in my new Siesta, worked intermittently. Called Kwikee and after some trouble shooting told me to take it back to dealer...I went to their website Kwikee Steps - Power Gear and downloaded the manual, found a spliced wire that wasn't making a good connection. I don't know which steps you have but this manual covers alot of them..I don't know if you have the manual, but here it is in case you don't..
Happy troubleshooting!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee Step Manual fix parts.pdf (1.19 MB, 111 views)
Old 09-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #6

The magnetic door switch, check that it's grounded properly.
Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #7

kwikee door issues

now can there be a separate fuse for just the door switch?..otherwise i have power at the plug..hard to trace the leads from the door switch under the coach..they disappear quickly...also isn't the other side of the door just a magnet?
Old 09-18-2015, 06:29 AM   #8

Unscrew the door switch and you'll see one end doesn't go very far to a ground.

Robby
Old 09-18-2015, 06:31 AM   #9

Mine is grounded to the frame inside the wheel well.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #10

kwikee door issues

well...it looks like i have 2 switches on the door frame..white one 3/8 and below it 3/4 black one..i allready replaced the black one and pigtailed in to the existing leads ..the white one looks like it is tied into the black door switch...i dont know the purpose of 2 switches...but must be related to the problem...i just hate changing parts hoping to run in to it..
Old 09-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well CW found that our control board went bad so a new one is on order.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
It takes three separate grounds in good working order to make my steps work correctly. While other failures do occur, I would start with grounds first.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
It takes three separate grounds in good working order to make my steps work correctly. While other failures do occur, I would start with grounds first.
So true!! I hate to say it but I bought a control board only to fine it was a ground problem so if anyone need a used board let me know. The good news is the lesson learned, on all problems I now check the ground first and that has save me a lot of time, money and grief.

Robby
Old 09-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #14

Fighting the same issue on mine right now. I think I have it narrowed down to the grounding of the door switch. Problem is, I believe the ground location for the switch is hidden inside the door frame and I can't get to it to check/verify it without removing the door. The switch checks out good and when I bypass the switch at the 4-wire plug everything works fine. So it has to be a weak ground at the switch end. :(

Tags
kwikee