Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #1

Kwikee Step Motor different replacement motor

I had to replace my step motor and all the post I found were telling me to get the Drivers side window lift motor from a Taurus and other cars.
guess what? Mine was not the Drivers side, but the Passenger side. It was a Dorman 742-210. I first ordered the Driver side and when I tried to attach the plate for the linkage to it I realized it was wrong. Every Photo of the 742-211 (drivers side motor) I could find online showed this exact motor , which was the opposite of what I needed. I had researched everywhere and everyone said the Drivers side.
My Kwikee is a series 32 and the S/N is 295013 on a Fleetwood Pace Arrow. I could not even get a good answer from AM EQUIPMENT MFGS who actually supply the motors to Kwikee.
Needless to say I've had a real time with my repair, and hope I can help someone with a Step motor replacement.
Yours may need the Drivers side motor, but in case it's wrong try the Passenger side. Be sure to have your motor in hand when you order your new motor, or a very good photo.
Anyway we are looking at either the Dorman 742-211/Driver side, or the 742-210/ Passenger side.
Once I had the right motor installed the steps work great and the new motor was $50.00 from Autozone.
Final note:
You will have to keep your original plug and solder it to the same color wires on the the new motor after you cut their plug off as close to their plug as possible. On mine I knew how to pull the pins from the new plug and then cut close to pins. After soldering I used heat Shrink tubing to keep joint protected.
patwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good info, thanks.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #3

So would the 742210 Dorman possibly replace the AM motor as pictured at the end of this web site. Bob's Guides | Electric Steps

The bolt pattern looks very similar but the Motor is at a slightly different angle but does it or will it possibly fit.
Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:30 AM   #4

To Dougsee3 When I talked to the guy at AM he could not guarantee he had the right motor. I looked at the photo you talked about and if it was me I want to see in hand before ordering. It does look like it would work, but if AM will not confirm to you them do you want to go through all the return problems> Take your motor to Autozone and take your best guess from all the info available and order one. If it's the wrong motor it's so easy to get your money back and re-order the other number.
From my point of view trust the photos that are on their site. I went by all info I read and had to re-order the 210. I didn't trust their photo and that was my mistake.
By the way My 210 is working great and that is a great relief.
I did upload a photo to post for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00051.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	67524  
patwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:11 AM   #5
paz

patwwjd, thanks for posting the info on the replacement motor. I had seen the info before, but don't recall seeing an actual part number. However, my recollection was it was the passenger side of a 1960-something Taurus, so I'm not sure why everything you found said driver side.

Good advice on having the motor in hand when ordering AND when picking up the new motor.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #6

I guess I am trying to throw parts at my step. I'm going to wait the few weeks now to get home and take the whole thing apart and trouble shoot it. The gearbox bolts are
seem loose and rusty (broke one). Stairs stay retracted once every 2 to 10 cycles I can now pry the leaver arm while DW opens the door and get them out. At first I pulled the pin and then the motor, cycle the motor and put back together and it would work for the 2 to 10 or more cycles.
Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, replacement, replace