Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2017, 07:12 AM   #1

Kwikee step motors keep failing

I replaced my Kwikee step motor about 5 months ago using the Ford replacement window motor. It was working just fine and then all of a sudden this weekend it fails again just like before. The plastic gears inside the housing are breaking. I've checked the steps for binding and it moves freely. What could be casing this? I hate to have to keep replacing these motors every 6 months.
Jason1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2017, 09:38 AM   #2

You may want to replace the control module. I replaced mine a couple of weeks ago after the gears striped out on my motor.
steveh1855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:44 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess that it could be the module and it depends a lot on the design of your steps. However, on the newer step design that has the large exposed "fan gear" another cause can be stepping on them before they are fully deployed. If you look at the linkage the weight will be transferred to the motor gear until the cam is fully extended.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:50 AM   #4

Check to make sure your steps are tight up against their eccentric cams when extended and not relying on the motor gearbox endstop to hold them in position. Something must be causing stress on the plastic gear.
JPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:10 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tight against the stops still transfers the load as torque to the gears. When fully extended the pressure goes to the adjustable rod end and then transfers directly to the center pivot pin. Because of the angle, there is very little additional pressure transferred to the fan gear and then into the motor gearbox.

Nonetheless, the nylon gears are clearly at their design limit...and this is with Kwikee branded motors, not the Ford power window replacement.

In short...wait until it is fully deployed to step down on it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160725_163258.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	163611  
Old 05-31-2017, 10:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Tight against the stops still transfers the load as torque to the gears. When fully extended the pressure goes to the adjustable rod end and then transfers directly to the center pivot pin. Because of the angle, there is very little additional pressure transferred to the fan gear and then into the motor gearbox.

Nonetheless, the nylon gears are clearly at their design limit...and this is with Kwikee branded motors, not the Ford power window replacement.

In short...wait until it is fully deployed to step down on it...
Right on. And to expand, lubrication plays a vital role. If the pivot points are dry and restrict movement not allowing full extension, the weight is transferred to the gears as you explained. Use a good spray lube at least once or twice per year.

https://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-T-9...shield+spray+9
Old 05-31-2017, 11:11 AM   #7

Nothing's changed on these things in 10-20 years. It is a cronic problem and a shame that manfacturers don't have a more bullet-proof design.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:46 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If it's a Ford motor. Have you tried going to a Ford dealer and getting the gear kit and not the whole motor. Do you what model Ford motor they are using?
Mine is starting to act up.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #9

Amazon has the best prices on quickie step parts. Get the number off the motor itself (not the steps). Example here is the one for the picture listed above: https://www.amazon.com/Kwikee-182012.../dp/B008OAFBGG

Also using the picture above as an example; see how the spin gear is clean and dry, yea that is bad. That spin gear that contacts the motor gear should be slathered in axle grease or even better to use marine grade grease. It should look like the hitch pad on a semi-truck. And then check it 2 times a year to make sure it has not washed off. This is a no touch area so there is no fear of getting grease on you in normal operation of the steps. Next all the slide and rotate points should be sprayed at least 2 times a year with a silicone base spray lube. And finally as stated, do not step on the steps till they fully extend.

Do these things and your steps will operate well for a long time.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:52 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I pulled the motor off today.
There is a large gear that fit over the gear on the motor. This large gear goes into the gear case.
I think this larger gear is suppose to be one piece. Mine is two.
They should fit together but there are burrs on them from spinning on each other.
I have looked on the net but can't find a good picture of this gear.
Has any one had this issue?
Thanks.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:05 PM   #11

If you can still read the number off the motor like in the picture above go to Amazon and search "Kwikee step motor xxxxxxxx". The X's being the motor model number. If not search just Kwikee Step Motor and look for the one that matches. There is only a hand full of motor models and they usually come with anything that is not part of the step itself.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
regardless of what you might read here, there are numerous models of the step units. The exposed fan gear is the newest version. Motor with single gear that connects to the fan gear. That is a series 24 ro 25 unit. The motors and gears are different. I have attached the service manual for the 24/25 series.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1421482install214_24_26.pdf (349.5 KB, 68 views)
Old 06-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #13

I replaced the motor on our Kwikee steps a few months ago with an aftermarket motor from Rock Auto. Motor was on clearance for $20.

After about half a dozen cycles of the steps in and out, it sounded like it stripped the gears and motor would just run without moving the steps. No binding issues on the steps themselves. I took the motor apart and found that the worm gear was fine, but there are 3 rubber like "bumpers" inside the big round gear that cushion it against the shaft. Kind of like little shock absorbers. All 3 of these turned to dust inside the gear. I blew out all the remains and swapped the 3 bumpers from the old worn out motor into the new and it's been working ever since. "Knock on wood."

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:38 PM   #14

Please allow me to restate. Kwikee steps come in 3 parts. The main step assembly, the drive gear assembly and the motor assembly. When you order the part they come with all the parts for that assembly. The drive gear assembly can wear out but it usually is preceded by motor or motor gear failure. The gears on the motor (internal and external) are much weaker then the drive gear ones. As Piker pointed out going with "it might work" ones are subjective. The ones I have ordered off of Amazon have always performed well. My comment about all the parts being included was about the motor gear and parts. Some of the motor gears are hard mounted to the shaft, some just sit there and come separate in the packaging but are included with the assembly. You can see this in the Amazon listings.

Tags
kwikee