Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2018, 07:48 AM   #1

Kwikee step not retracting all the way

Step closes but lacks about 2” from being completely stored. I can take my foot and push it up to the stored position but it drops back down. I’m pretty sure it’s a linkage problem.
Any idea on what to look at first ?

This is the 2 step swing out version.
Edhildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #2

My steps weren't retracting all the way either. Like yours all but 2" retracted. Sprayed WD40 on all points and solved my problem.
mhshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Road grime gets on the slide rails. Get them fully extended then power wash the slides and lubricate with a non-dirt attracting lubricant.

edit: when mine did this I called their tech support who gave me the above advice, but he also said that if if does not work you may need to consider replacing the drive motor as that is also a sign of the motor wearing out. Fortunately the cleaning worked for me.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
I'll second the lack of lubrication as the reason the steps not retracting fully. The motor stops when the power draw gets high. With the steps well lubricated, the motor won't stop until the steps are fully retracted.

WD40 will loosen the sticky joints. Once the steps are operating correctly, I suggest a spray silicone or other grease be used periodically as they last longer and are good protection against moisture and corrosion.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:59 AM   #5

As said, clean and lube. The motor works off resistance. It is made to stop if anything is in the way, ie your foot, etc. After lube, use your hand to help them up and down. Do it multiple times and I believe your problem will go away. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:23 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a copy of the Kwikee Service Manual but the file is too big to post on IRV2. If you give me your email address (PM or post) I will be happy to send it to you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:54 AM   #7

Thanks pm sent
Edhildy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee