Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2021, 04:30 PM   #1

Kwikee step not working.

I got the RV from storage for a weekend trip. I stopped for fuel and when I opened the door the step did not come down. When I got home I checked for power and all the connections. The under step light came on when I did this so the unit is getting power.

This happened a year or so ago and after a lot of messing with it it just started working. I am thinking it is the control panel. I am going to do some more test when I can. Any help is appreciated.

Phil
Burker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #2

You did not say what model so on mine there is a flat 4 wire connector separate and spray contact cleaner or WD 40 both sides push back together and separate a few more times. Voltage can get through but not enough amps.

If this doesn't work could be control board.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:09 PM   #3

You haven't given a year for your coach , so I hope these diagnostic PDFs apply.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee troubleshooting.pdf (392.4 KB, 246 views)
File Type: pdf Kwikee Step-Troubleshooting-Flow-Chart.pdf (1.49 MB, 231 views)
Old 01-14-2021, 06:29 PM   #4

It is also entirely possible that the motor is on the way out - Mine worked one time and *poof* was gone forever the next.

A replacement kit is available on Amazon with the entire package other than the step itself - motor, control pack, and armature / gearbox. All you need is the number of your step and the kit installed on mine in about 20 minutes.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:06 PM   #5

I agree about the motor being the problem. Try this - with the door in the open position, give the motor a whack with a rubber mallet! I'll bet it will operate. I went to an auto junk yard and pulled several power window motors from various cars and was able to find the right parts to rebuilt mine.

Note: I've taken several motors apart and it is always the same problem - flat spots in the armature!

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:44 PM   #6

My RV is a 2001 Monaco Knight on a Roadmaster chasis
Burker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneiva View Post
I agree about the motor being the problem. Try this - with the door in the open position, give the motor a whack with a rubber mallet! I'll bet it will operate. I went to an auto junk yard and pulled several power window motors from various cars and was able to find the right parts to rebuilt mine.

Note: I've taken several motors apart and it is always the same problem - flat spots in the armature!

Bill
bneiva is correct - but let me add the following;

Stay clear of the pathway the steps will take as it will crush you quickly. Hit the end of the motor with a metal hammer - a rubber mallet is too soft IMO. Be prepared for it to come out! If it does come out the commutator is burned and the motor can be removed, taken apart and the commutator can be cleaned up with some very fine sandpaper pretty easily if you're handy - or for around $78 you can buy a replacement - here's the one I got for a kwikee imgl motor...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 9.46.11 PM.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	314455  
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:54 PM   #8

ORK! Thanks Domo, I forgot the obvious with that step swinging out. I crawled under the bus so the step would swing away from me!

Bill
Old 01-14-2021, 08:17 PM   #9

Quote:
ORK! Thanks Domo, I forgot the obvious with that step swinging out. I crawled under the bus so the step would swing away from me!

Bill
Bill - no sweat - that's how the RV family watches each other's backs - we all want the best outcome for OP -> Otherwise we'd have to listen to them gripe while they're camped next to us!
Old 01-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #10

This video should help, shows diagnostics as well as internals.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:15 PM   #11

Let me understand something…..

Somebody sat down to their computer ( in Air conditioning, I’m sure) and took 30 minutes of their valued time to research and order a NEW $79.00 motor. Then he drank beer for two days waiting for the new part to arrive before simply installing it.

On the other hand…

At a cost of $40.00, I spent a full day in an auto junk yard where I had to pull at least 10 motors before getting what I was looking for! I sweated my butt off because it was so dang hot! Then it took another full day to take apart all the motors in order to make a good one. Afterwards, I lost another four days to allow my left hand to recover from a bad cut I got in the junk yard!

I think the guy who spent $79.00 on the new motor got robbed!!

Bill
Jacksonville, Fl
Old 01-14-2021, 09:40 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Agree on the motor being the problem. That's the most common failure point on these steps.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker60 View Post
My RV is a 2001 Monaco Knight on a Roadmaster chasis
After 20 years in the elements.... It's likely the motor. Here's the complete kit that I bought, while it says it is for "double and triple step" that is not true - I have a single step and this was the correct kit. They all use almost the same motor setup, it is the arm length and curve that matters.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm very happy with the results, the step is secure again. The motor is the only thing holding it out when you step on it, so if there is any flex normally in yours, the motor and gearbox are on the way out anyway.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Let me understand something…..

Somebody sat down to their computer ( in Air conditioning, I’m sure) and took 30 minutes of their valued time to research and order a NEW $79.00 motor. Then he drank beer for two days waiting for the new part to arrive before simply installing it.

On the other hand…

At a cost of $40.00, I spent a full day in an auto junk yard where I had to pull at least 10 motors before getting what I was looking for! I sweated my butt off because it was so dang hot! Then it took another full day to take apart all the motors in order to make a good one. Afterwards, I lost another four days to allow my left hand to recover from a bad cut I got in the junk yard!

I think the guy who spent $79.00 on the new motor got robbed!!

Bill
Jacksonville, Fl
You rule! I'd do the same any day of the week! (again!)

Tags
kwikee