Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2019, 07:40 PM   #1

Kwikee Steps extend when braking hard

Hello all, longtime lurker here, first time poster.

I have a strange problem. When I brake a little harder than normal, my steps extend. When I let off the brake, they come back in. I've even braked to a stop, put the transmission into Park, but they only come back in when I let off the brake. This happens both when moving forward and in reverse.

Other than that, the steps work fine.

I checked the grounding cable underneath the motorhome, and it was a bit loose. I tightened it but it still has the problem. I also went through, wiggled all the wires and couldn't reproduce the problem. However, it happens every time I brake a little on the hard side while driving.

I thought it might be the door sensor, but I don't break hard enough to move the door. Besides, the door has to open a good foot or so before the steps extend, so there's plenty of movement available before the steps activate.

The step model is a Kwikee Revolution series. My motorhome is a Winnebago Itasca Sunstar 32K.

Any ideas on what might be causing this strange problem or what I should look at?

Thanks in advance.
GrRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2019, 07:56 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How long has it been doing this? Have you done any rewiring? Sounds like somehow the brake lights circuit is activating the step motor. You take your foot off and the brake lights go out and the motor returns.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:08 PM   #3

Kwikee service manual
Kwikee diagnostics video
There is no way for the brake light system to cross with the automatic steps system, unless someone has been messing with the wiring.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #4

Just went through the same thing. It is the magnetic door switch, and the door shifts and the stairs open. The door and switch need to be adjusted.

Good luck
seasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:05 PM   #5

Ah, I forgot one important thing! I had just replaced the motor. The old one lost some sort of internal gear and was spinning freely. I'm not sure if it was happening before the motor replacement or not, but I only noticed it after.

I can't image it was cross connected in any way with the brakes during the replacement. The only wiring for a motor replacement is to unplug the old motor and plug in the new one.

I also don't think it's the door. As I said in the original post, there's a lot of range the door has to move for the steps to extend. Plus it works breaking going forward or reverse and the steps only come in after the break is released. I'll try putting a magnet there while driving to see if it's the door, but I really doubt that's the issue.

I'm wondering if there's an undervoltage type of problem, which is why it doesn't come in until I let go of the breaks. However, the battery is new and the alternator seems to work from the voltage reading on the inverter.

Thanks for the ideas so far, especially the service manual (though it's not for this model). I'll check out the video as well.

Any other ideas or suggestions on what to look at?
Old 08-07-2019, 04:07 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
When you re-tightened the ground, did you also clean the contact surfaces?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:24 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would disconnect the door switch so it's out of the system and see if you still have the issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:46 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Try braking hard sitting still. If it is a circuit problem then it will show up. My steps would extend when hitting a rough place in the road. I shimmed out the door plunger switch and have not had a problem since. The bouncing in and out stripped the nylon gears and I replaced the motor twice before we saw the steps bounce in and out and shimmed out the plunger switch.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:02 AM   #9

Good idea to try disconnecting the switch just to make sure it's not the issue. Logically, it does seem to be the most likely culprit even if it seems to be ok. I'll do that and/or take apart the door sensor to see if it has a problem.

I haven't seen braking hard in place causing the step to come out. It has to be in motion for the problem to occur.

Also a good idea to clean the ground. I'll try that as well.

Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes. Any other ideas are most welcome!
Old 08-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #10

Success!

After trying all sorts of things and still having the problem, I pulled apart the door sensor and out popped a broken wire. I soldered on a new wire and terminal and it fixed the problem!

I imagine the broken wire was making a very weak connection when not moving, but sudden movement caused it to disconnect or short and the steps to come out. I can't explain why pressing the breaks kept the steps out, perhaps the slight movement of letting go of the breaks caused it to go back to the normal position.

Anyway, per dabrooks' comment, I'm sure this is what caused the previous motor's gears to break earlier. I'm glad I caught it after replacing the motor.

Thanks everyone for helping me consider the door sensor further and figure out the problem.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:54 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats, and thanks for posting the resolution.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, steps