Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2021, 02:46 AM   #29

You might get some direction from these threads:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/kwik...ds-276578.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/kwi...-208949-2.html

These threads indicate that there are two door switches, one normally open, one normally closed. Depending on which controller you have, newer or older, the switches are different. If the steps are acting in reverse and the wiring has not been altered, then the improper switch is installed. These threads do not recommend reversing polarity to the motor.

You could disconnect the door sensor wires and manually connect and disconnect them to see which way the steps work properly (NO or NC). Once you determine which way the step works properly you can install that type switch in the door.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 04:10 AM   #30
YC1

If you did not change components, disconnect the motor positive and ground leads. Then carefully put power to them in the reverse mode. That is, put the ground lead to your power source and the hot lead to the ground. This will move the motor to the other end of its travel.

Reconnect power wires and it should work. It does not know which way is up in, or out of course. It just gets a signal to go on or off. The controller doesn't really care either. It just knows to put some power to the thing and when the current takes a big jump to turn off.

This may be a bit simplistic but it worked for me.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:25 PM   #31

I think the OP has changed the controller. It is curious to me that it quit working, then began working in reverse when the OP tapped on the motor.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:01 AM   #32

I have lost track of exactly the moment it started working in reverse just that it was right after it wouldn’t extend and I tapped it.
I am waiting for the new switch to try and see if an old style will work.
YC do you mean use a separate power source to reverse the position of the steps and then reconnect them to the regular wiring? That is an interesting idea. I hadn’t thought of it. I will try that.
bill5h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:46 PM   #33
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5h View Post
I have lost track of exactly the moment it started working in reverse just that it was right after it wouldnít extend and I tapped it.
I am waiting for the new switch to try and see if an old style will work.
YC do you mean use a separate power source to reverse the position of the steps and then reconnect them to the regular wiring? That is an interesting idea. I hadnít thought of it. I will try that.
A separate power source will work but you have power coming to the controller and probably can unplug that and use some sort of jumper to activate just the motor.

I am almost certain I had to do this several years ago. Changing a switch to something else makes no sense at all to me.

The controller does not really know if the thing is in or out. It just runs power one way or the other and when the current climbs up it quits trying to run the motor. At least that is how I think it works.

These motors are electric window motors and I have never seen any limit switches installed. I'm sure there are some out there but having a circuit that sees a certain voltage level climb could easily be a sense to turn things on or off.

You have got to be incredibly careful running the thing in and out. I took mine down a couple of times. Mine is held up with four bolts and easily drops with the use of a small jack. Two people can do it but a jack is really easy.

With it lying on its side you can safely apply power to the motor to test it going in and out. If you take it out, take every nut and bolt off one at a time to inspect. I had one shear right off one day. There may be some brass bearing in there too so its a good time for a real clean and light lube. I have replaced all of my bolts with higher grade ones.

You can do a lot of checking with it out and can make sure that you have it in the in or out position that would relate to your door being open or shut.

That is, your switch near the door is set for automatic and the door is open, then the steps should be out when you reinstall them.

Hope this makes some sense.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #34

Depending upon the year of your coach you may have to change door switch when you change controller. That info is from a tech at Kwikee about 6 weeks ago. I don’t know what the year the change of normal open vs normal closed occurred.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:54 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rssnape View Post
My memory is a little foggy on the gearbox and lever arm. But if it over rotated could the motor be operating in the correct direction but now the gear box is retracting when itís supposed to be extending? I recall the worm gear only engages with 180 degrees of the plastic gear.
You are correct. I'm not sure how the arm could go past center, but if it did it would operate in reverse.

I had a set that would not quite go all the way in, hit a traffic barrel and bent a little. Took the whole thing apart, straightened, bench tested it, put it back together and it worked in reverse. I had put the arm on backwards.

But it would take a hard blow to over center it.

I'd bet controller too.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:14 PM   #36
YC1

I found this in my files. It might help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quickee step switches.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	344683  
Old 10-17-2021, 06:25 AM   #37
YC1

Have not seen a resolution to the problem. Hope all is well.

Tags
kwikee, steps