Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2021, 07:54 PM   #1

Kwikee Steps working in reverse

Hi all, I have read alot of other posts on this issue, but my situation is a bit different. I did not replace anything. no re-wiring, new motor, nothing. The steps stopped working. I know the old tap on motor trick and they started working again, in reverse. I did the Kwikee trouble shoot and when connecting the red & white wires to positive, nothing. THE steps did retract when I connected the red to positive. That shows its the controller, since the motor works? correct? I don't have money to spend on parts if I don't have to. I read about the reversing wires trick, but that was after people replaced parts, I did nothing? Any ideas before I start messing around?
thanks
Bill
bill5h is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2021, 07:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5h View Post
Hi all, I have read alot of other posts on this issue, but my situation is a bit different. I did not replace anything. no re-wiring, new motor, nothing. The steps stopped working. I know the old tap on motor trick and they started working again, in reverse. I did the Kwikee trouble shoot and when connecting the red & white wires to positive, nothing. THE steps did retract when I connected the red to positive. That shows its the controller, since the motor works? correct? I don't have money to spend on parts if I don't have to. I read about the reversing wires trick, but that was after people replaced parts, I did nothing? Any ideas before I start messing around?
thanks
Bill
Sorry you are having this problem. It appears that you have done your due diligence to look for fixes. Since youíve verified the motor works, seams very likely itís youíre controller. Iíd change it out. Youíll have to commit to changing it out since thereís not much else that it can be. Maybe someone else will chime in.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:23 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Test the assembly using the kwikee testing procedure. Under files at the top of the page, go to the electrical section.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:39 PM   #4

Thanks I have tested it according the the kwikee testing procedures and it all points to the controller. Just hate spend the $$ and not being sure. Found a controller a lot cheaper on amazon than anywhere else. I'll update the post after the install.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:42 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
If the testing points to the controller, then it's the controller.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:53 PM   #6

Just walk in backwards.
Fogbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogbelly View Post
Just walk in backwards.

Bahaha! Funny!
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:33 PM   #8

It would be surprising if a new controller didn't fix your problem. If you order it from Amazon you can return it if it's not the problem.

I notice they have some used like new for a good discount. Considering you can return it this seems like a no brainer to me.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:35 PM   #9

My memory is a little foggy on the gearbox and lever arm. But if it over rotated could the motor be operating in the correct direction but now the gear box is retracting when itís supposed to be extending? I recall the worm gear only engages with 180 degrees of the plastic gear.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:25 PM   #10

Thanks all I ordered the new controller and it should be here in a few days. I will let you all know what happened. rssnape I did check the gearbox and linkage, it looked fine. I never disconnected anything other than the wires to test it. weird problem.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #11

Well replaced the controller unit and it still operates backward. steps open with door closed and closed with door open. called Kwikee support, and am waiting for a call back. I now have a spare controller. I know I can probably return it, but I would be mad if i received a used unit so I won't.

Lets see what Kwikee says. I have read on a bunch of other threads to reverse the motor wires, but that seems like a hack job. I would rather do it right. or am I wrong?
Old 08-21-2021, 04:28 PM   #12

I had a lot of trouble with my steps. The first day we bought the coach, it rained a lot on the way home. The steps automatically extended. I didn't notice until we went into a toll booth......didnt' get very far and heard a horrible screech. I was quick enough to stop that we just backed up, more screeching, and then disconnected something and zip tied the whole thing "shut". This was of course all at 2 am.

The next time it happened it was also raining, and again a toll booth. I decided that was the last time and added a kill switch to the system. Now if I pull up to a curb and want to open the door the step will not extend while "off".

I forgot to turn the kill switch "off" a trip ago. It rained. I looked in the passenger mirror and saw the step out. Stopped somewhere and somehow got it back in then off for the rest of the trip.

I was about to order a new controller. Then I checked the chassis battery connection. The positive terminal was very very dirty. Now both connections are very very clean. This may have been the problem.

Have you checked your battery connections? And ground connections?
Old 08-21-2021, 06:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Well replaced the controller unit and it still operates backward. steps open with door closed and closed with door open. called Kwikee support, and am waiting for a call back. I now have a spare controller. I know I can probably return it, but I would be mad if i received a used unit so I won't.

Lets see what Kwikee says. I have read on a bunch of other threads to reverse the motor wires, but that seems like a hack job. I would rather do it right. or am I wrong?

Please post a picture with the step half way.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:29 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Some years back I was having repeat failures of my steps...to the point I wanted to replace them. Mine had the older linkage style...and I wanted the new style anyway.

In the box with the new steps complete with new controller was also a new door switch and a note that the switch on the coach MUST be replaced as the new controller required it.
At first I didn't replace it and my steps acted the same way as yours, door open steps in, door closed steps out.
I found where I could splice in the new switch....no more problems. I suspect your issue is the same. Reversing the motor leads only works partially. The retract function during Engine On condition etc won't be correct.

You will need a new door switch. About 20 bucks on Amazon.

Tags
kwikee, steps