Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNiemann View Post
so who wants to take a crack at it now... got my VOM and all outlets, plugs, wires, GFI Outlets all say 122.9 volts. My ground tester shows that all outlets from the garage "shore" to the inside of the RV have a proper grounded system and that no wires are backwards anywhere...

so again, why am i losing so much power when i turn on the microwave that it won't even heat up and the display lights won't show either while its running. I just don't get why its doing it this year and never done it before... again, any and all suggestions are and will be taken seriously and tested ASAP...

Thanks Again in Advance Everyone!

Chris
When you got this voltage, was the heater or the microwave running? If not check it while one or the other is running, sounds like a severe voltage drop problem.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #30

In post 22 you said:

Quote:
4.) when i checked my ext cord and ends, i noticed at the end of my ext cord where it plugs into a regular 15amp outlet, the plastic around the straight prongs was a bit "melted" looking and one of the prongs looked as if it had gotten hot at one time as compared to the other, i don't remember it being like that before we plugged it in... I'll know more tomorrow when we get the meter.
You said 15 amp and straight prongs was a bit "melted". That sounds like the connection is breaking down when higher current is requested. 15 amp source is real small and that maybe the source of all your issues. Overloading the circuit and it is letting you know that at the weakest point in the system.
Just because you have a 30 amp fuse on a 15 amp recepticle does not mean you will have 30 amps avaialble at the recepticle.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
ya'll know to much! lol i leave for a couple days and i got too much to look into now LOL

i'll try the "run the microwave and wiggle connections" tomorrow afternoon if the wife is home.

the prongs on the microwave are not scored or marked up at all, and the microwave is brand new and the lowest watts available at walmart 900 watts.

all the other wires are connected firmly and checked out good.

how do i go about finding "amps" at each outlet? to make sure i'm getting the right amps to the outlets, can i do this with a VOM?

being 27 sucks, wish i had everyone elses knowledge from age and experience downloadable to my brain today... lol

Thanks Again Everyone!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
What you need to do is put your VOM leads in an outlet while you are drawing power from it.

First check with nothing turned on, you said you got 122 volts? ok good.

Now fire up all the lights, furnace, microwave, radio and tv, the works.
And check voltage with your meter again.

I used to adapt down to a 15 amp adapter to plug my rig in at home. The adapters ran hot, and voltage in the rig was 108.
Lots of things didn't run too well.
After melting 2 15 to 30 amp adapters, I bought a 30 amp receptacle at menards for $4 and put the in so I could plug a 30 amp extension cord straight in. Now I got 114 volts inside the rig with the battery charger, fridge, lights, and a few others things running. It's all much happier.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
These have been mentioned in several posts here on iRV2, but they are worth repeating; The Kill-a-Watt 4460 is a very easy-to-use solution for keeping tabs on your electrical issues. The homepage tells of how it can help you determine costs of operating appliances, but it also gives voltage readouts, amp draw for running appliances, and a number of other features that are valuable for us out on the road, both when changing from CG to CG and when you're wondering if your generator is doing its job right. I keep one in each of my 3 units and have a couple in the SB as well.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:45 PM   #34

Think about it you said you redid the wiring when you replaced the floor. That's where I'd check first. Especially if it started right after you replaced the floor.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power