RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2018, 09:53 AM   #15

Iím currently going through the same decision process. Here are a couple that Iím considering. The first is the best of both worlds, but heavy (42 lbs).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FUCCPNW...ing=UTF8&psc=1

This one folds up very compactly, but wonít always be tall enough.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...C5AYW2ZKK7RP7D

I like the stability of a multi-ladder, but donít want to sacrifice the space.

For the OP: My first thought was that you should contact the manufacturer to see if your Winnebago has the internal structure necessary to support a ladder attached to the rear.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 11:47 AM   #16

My 2016 also came without a ladder. I like how easy it is to wash the rear without a ladder in the way. I have a collapsible ladder that works just fine and fits in the middle of my pass through storage bay.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:04 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We're actually in the same boat (or RV). We have a new motor home coming this week. Since they designed facia's to hide the roof top equipment, it doesn't have a rear ladder and one can't be added (it would be too tall). My previous coach, had a rear ladder and I used the folding 7' "A" frame ladder (folds to 4" square) as the ladder I use to wash the windshield or fix things on the side of the coach.

I intend to keep the 7' ladder for around the RV use and window cleaning. I will add a second ladder, the 16' telescoping model for emergency roof access. Since it will be used infrequently, I will try and hide it away in an out of the way place.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
I like how easy it is to wash the rear without a ladder in the way.
Now that info sealed the deal for me. Portable it is!
Rockbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:39 PM   #19

Built-in limits you to one function. You can't get at the side of your slides, top of your awning when it's extended, etc. However, it is convenient and gets you to the roof quickly and easily.

Add-on that stores is versatile and can help you when you want to wash/wax the high parts of your rig.

I have one of the collapsible ladders and I store it on a wire frame bike rack that hooks onto our built-in ladder - easy, no fuss, and I don't lose any basement space.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:00 PM   #20

I'm surprised no one mentioned looks. I just don't like the look of the ladder mounted on the coach and my sense is that they would deteriorate cosmetically before the full body paint did. Plus, I agree that the ability to move a ladder to anywhere is a bonus. I have a nice tall telescoping one that stores in the end of the pull out tray. I lay a fan over it and set a small wash bucket within its legs and don't feel like I lost the space by having it there. I am a home inspector and love my little giant but it's too bulky to store in the rig in my opinion.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:19 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Why hasn’t someone invented a permanently attached ladder that releases at the bottom and creates an angled extension type ladder that makes for easy climbing? And while they’re at it make it wider and just generally more usable???

I’m nearly 70 and have the upper arm strength of a 14 yr old. That ladder on the back is virtually worthless to me.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:02 AM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"creativepart"......Not what you're suggesting, but Lance campers and trailers is using a ladder made by a company in Paramount California, that's 1.5" thick aluminum. They're welded rungs, look nice and really sturdy.

You know, with a forum name, like "creativepart", maybe you could prototype a ladder like you describe and sell it to the industry.....it's not a bad idea.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:27 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You know, with a forum name, like "creativepart", maybe you could prototype a ladder like you describe and sell it to the industry.....it's not a bad idea.
After being self-employed for 30 years, I sold my company last year to stop doing just that kind of thing.

I figure if it’s a good idea then I’m not the only one that’s had it. Someone else surely has thought of it. I can’t be that clever.