Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #1

Laptop computer desk position

At a recent RV Supershow, we saw a lot of Class A Motorhomes by various manufacturers that had a hidden, sliding computer tabletop mounted in the dash in front of the co-pilot position. I think pretty much all the models were based on the Ford chassis, but it probably doesn't matter.

Some had a top piece that opens up, then a tabletop slides on a mechanism towards the person sitting in the co-pilot seat. Others just had a flush mount section that slides towards the person. Both designs seem to use the same type of roller arm design that we all have with the drawers in the kitchen and bedrooms.

Anyone know where I could get some variations of this roller arm mechanism to try to create one in our MH model?

Thanks
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #2

McMaster Carr industrial supply has anything you want. I have been thinking about a TV mount to slide out from under the outside storage bay. If mcmaster doesn't have it, you don't need it. Usually next day delivery from distribution centers scattered around the country. The catalog is about 4000 pages, use them at least once a week for something! Ordered lift cylinders for the storage bays a couple of weeks ago for about a third what the dealer quoted.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
At a recent RV Supershow, we saw a lot of Class A Motorhomes by various manufacturers that had a hidden, sliding computer tabletop mounted in the dash in front of the co-pilot position. I think pretty much all the models were based on the Ford chassis, but it probably doesn't matter.

Some had a top piece that opens up, then a tabletop slides on a mechanism towards the person sitting in the co-pilot seat. Others just had a flush mount section that slides towards the person. Both designs seem to use the same type of roller arm design that we all have with the drawers in the kitchen and bedrooms.

Anyone know where I could get some variations of this roller arm mechanism to try to create one in our MH model?

Thanks
The local Home Depot and Lowes have many sizes in stock.

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
As above: I've seen the hardware at Lowes or Home Depot too.

Since I'm not a skilled woodworker and don't own the tools to be one I bought on already made and finished to match our interior from Miller's Magic Table Looking at the site I don't see it offered now though.

We used to be dealers for them but got out of it some years ago. The table they sell is very sturdy too, we use it for extra seating or a step stool. If you kick it with no shoes on like I did a week or so ago it'll break your toe too!! Still pretty swollen and the toe nail is about to fall off!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
kenandterry,

If you have one near you, try Lee Valley. If not, any home improvement store (Rona, Home Depot) should have the Drawer Slides you need to create the sliding desk (possibly even Ikea).

I have one in my 1999 Fleetwood Southwind that works great.

Lane
Photo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:59 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
McMaster Carr industrial supply has anything you want. I have been thinking about a TV mount to slide out from under the outside storage bay. If mcmaster doesn't have it, you don't need it. Usually next day delivery from distribution centers scattered around the country. The catalog is about 4000 pages, use them at least once a week for something! Ordered lift cylinders for the storage bays a couple of weeks ago for about a third what the dealer quoted.
I second this! McMaster Carr has an unbelieveable inventory of just about anything you could ever need. While you would still need to locate some material which matches your decor elsewhere, they should have everything you would ever need for this type of project and then some. Do yourself a favor and check them out....

Link:.... www.mcmaster.com
TillRodsFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:52 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would look at Home Depot, Lowes or for that matter any kitchen cabinet facility. Funny you bring this up, ours has the sliding top tray in the passenger area and we just this past week quit using that area. For us just to hard getting in and out of the passenger seat all the time. We don't use our dining room table so now it's our computer work station.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #8

Thanks to all that replied. The project is finished, and we're thrilled with the results.

My wife was able to locate an imitation wood tabletop with it's own legs which perfectly matches the wood throughout our motorhome. The tabletop measures 19" X 14" which gives the perfect surface area for the laptop and the mouse.

Another motorhome project that I completed earlier, had me remove a couple of drawers (with the wife's buy-in) and install an electric fake fireplace unit that I bought from Walmart. This gives us the same setup that alot of other motorhomes offer by having the main TV located above the fireplace for ambiance.

I was able to use the very drawer slide units on the underside of the tabletop that are found throughout our unit for the sliding computer desktop in the co-pilot position. It glides less than an inch above the padded dash of the stock dashboard, and the wood is a perfect compliment to the colour scheme.

Thanks all.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
k&t,

Okay, now that you have it done we need to see the pics!

Lane
Photo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #10

Finished laptop computer desk position project

Here's a few pictures of the finished project of the sliding computer desk. I was able to utilize the sliding mechanisms of a previously removed drawer from within the motorhome. This makes being on the computer much more enjoyable and not crowding the dining table like before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	17447   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	17448  

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	17449   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	17450  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	17451   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	17452  

Old 01-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Here's a few pictures of the finished project of the sliding computer desk. I was able to utilize the sliding mechanisms of a previously removed drawer from within the motorhome. This makes being on the computer much more enjoyable and not crowding the dining table like before.
WOW
that is fantastic,
i was wondering if you had cut into the dash....but the solution you choose is great.
I may copy your idea
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer