Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2021, 06:38 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Large awning not closing totally.

Have a new to us 2018 Phaeton IH. The awning opens OK but when closing it does not go all the way into the housing. Missing about 2 inches to completely enter the housing.
Boston Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2021, 07:02 PM   #2

I have a Dometic awning that would open OK but would stop before fully retracting. In my case, it sounded like the awning motor couldn't overcome the gas shock resistance. However, it would close if my wife and I pushed on the support arms while it was closing thereby reducing the closing resistance. I then connected a power source directly to the motor using Dometic's emergency connections located at the motor. Worked fine in that case. Therefore, the problem involved voltage / current drop in the control box where the wind sensor, remote control, remote switch hookups and secondary awning controls are located. To resolve it, I installed a double pole, double throw momentary switch in order to bypass the Dometic control system. I don't have automatic wind protection or remote control anymore but the awning opens and closes when I want it to.
Coalminer333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:03 PM   #3

Power awning or manual?

Not sure if this holds true for power awnings or not, but on a manual awning if the fabric isn't centered side-to-side on the roller it can twist the arms enough to keep them from aligning and retracting properly. The distance from the fabric to the edge of the roller should be the same at both ends of the roller. To fix this, extend your roller fully but keep the fabric loose enough so that you can slide the fabric in it's track on the roller.

Also, sometimes due to sloppy assembly there are rivets protruding that can keep the arms from retracting.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:12 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I've met other 40IH owners in campgrounds who've said the same thing. Some have even had Red Bay address the issue with no better results. I never really noticed if ours didn't close all the way. Hope you can find a solution.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:26 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What brand awning do you have? If its the Girard awning, there are a couple of adjustment screws (potentiometers) that control in and out travel limits.
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning