Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kro1957..... most important factor has not been mentioned. How will you be using your RV? Big difference between full timing and intermittent use for camping or other recreation, and that is why some otherwise reliable companies seem to drop the ball.

There are only a handful of underwriters who cover full timers in a proper and comprehensive way. We're now into our fourth year with National Interstate and are well pleased.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 09:33 PM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Senior, see if you can go with USAA, my MH has been with them since Nov 2004 and so are my home, and car. No one can match or beat them.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Senior, see if you can go with USAA, my MH has been with them since Nov 2004 and so are my home, and car. No one can match or beat them.

USAA has apparently grandfathered you in, I cannot get USAA for my Coach, nor for my travel trailer when I tried 5 years ago. They sent me to Progressive . . . . where the satisfaction level was something WAY less than to be desired. Plus when I called USAA with the problems I was running into, they told me "Your RV insurance is with Progressive, NOT with USAA, we can't do anything about it."

Now I have Hartford through AARP and couldn't be happier!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #32

I have had State Farm for years. They gave me the best rate on my Motor home. It was so much cheaper than the 6 others I got a quote from. Your credit rating matters on insurance rates just like your driving record. Shop around but bundle everything to get the best rate.
rvftnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #33

Been insured with Forfemost Insurance Co. now for 20 years great no hassle claim service and reasonable premuim. Highly recommend them.

Good luck with your choice & Safe Travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #34

But what about service

I had been insured with State Farm for years, but when I got the class A, they couldn't give me a reasonable premium. So switched to Gmac, the Good Sam ins, but I'm not a Good Sam member, I had towing on the policy and a couple of years ago the switched to National General, I just noticed , No towing, They show me being a Good Sam member, and I'm not, and they cant change it, been waiting a week for there call.
So I'm shopping, as Lee said, cheap insurance is just cheap insurance if there's no service. So I've ruled out Safeco.
How has anyone's claims been with Geico?? Great rates, towing, what's the catch?
Hartford/AARP does not insure full timers, I'm not yet, they refer to Foremost, going to a broker tomorrow that also does Allied.
So please, more importantly than cost, any input on your experiences with service.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #35

I had a little problem with hail this past summer on a western trip called Geico to start the claim, now I was in Wyoming at the time. There was nothing that would hamper us from finishing the trip so I asked if we could have it all taken care of when we got back to NY they said no problem. Got back and called told them I was home and within a half hour an adjuster called and set and appointment up for the next day. She came as stated, wrote $4000 on the toad and another $1000 on the camper asked where I'd like them repaired. She set up the appointments took care of sending me the checks for the repair places and after all was done called and asked if everything was taken care of and if I was satisfied. Now that is what I call service plus only having to talk to one person.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:20 AM   #36

National Gerneral has been great for us 5 years now, cut my AllState bill in half with same coverage.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #37

We been with Progressive for 5yrs. and have had no problems. If you decide to go with them, then I would recommend the towing rider which is only $27 a year. We've needed it twice and each time they were great to work with. Once in of all places the Yukon. If they can get you a tow there, they can pretty much handle anywhere else you may go. And at just $27 it's a steal.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:38 PM   #38

Safeco claim experience - follow up

On 12/16/15, my truck spun out on black ice and did considerable damage to the passenger side all the way from the headlight to the rear bumper. I had just changed to Safeco Insurance due to cheaper premiums. This is my "After Action Report" re: my experience with Safeco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
FYI, I filed a claim with Safeco yesterday. The young girl on the phone was pleasant but didn't have any real answers. She was basically a clerk filling in the blanks. After gathering basic info, she handed me off to a "claims handler."
My wife heard from the "claims handler" about 10 days after the initial claim. By then, we had called our agent and asked for help getting things moving. The "claims handler" was basically useless.

Quote:
The accident was in an area with limited cell coverage so I initially used CoachNet to get the truck towed from the accident site to the nearest town (3 miles) on my own dime ($100.) CN was great and had the tow truck there in an hour.
This is the 3rd time we've used CN services. Even though this wasn't under CN's purview, their service was outstanding.

Quote:
When I called the claims handler about towing the truck to a body shop 6 miles away, his voicemail said he'd get back to me in 24 hours. Not wanting to wait, I made a "redneck repair" to get the truck to the body shop (used my jack to bend back the bumper that was jammed against my FR tire.)
It wasn't until a month later, after the truck was already repaired, that the "claims handler" sent an e-mail acknowledging our out-of-pocket towing expenses.

Quote:
The shop was awesome! If you ever need body work in Sedona, AZ, call Red Rock Collision at (928) 282-3900. They patched up the truck and said they thought it was safe to drive 130 miles home. They did say it was just an opinion and assumed no liability.
The patch job held together fine until we were able to get an OK from Safeco to take it in for an estimate.

Quote:
Got home at 6:30PM yesterday and sent an e-mail to the claims handler for further instructions re: getting truck repaired. So far, no reply and his voice mail box now reports, "Full, no more messages accepted."
As far as I'm concerned, the "claims handler" was about as useless as teats on a boar hog.

Quote:
So far, I'm less than impressed with Safeco but their rates are cheap. Glad this was my truck and not my motorhome.
Best line was when the repair shop called Safeco for the check. The "claims handler" said, "We sent the check on Dec 16th." The repair shop reminded them they weren't given authorization to start work until Dec 31st.

Bottom line, it's a 10 year old truck and was repaired to my satisfaction but the process was fraught with delays, cluelessness and plain incompetence on the part of Safeco. Draw your own conclusions about the value of low insurance premiums.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:44 AM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have 3 cars and our house insured with Allstate. When we got our coach we added full coverage for it for $32.00 a month. Have long experience with Allstate and they have always treated me well.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
National Interstate is who I have. Just went through a total loss from a fire and the insurance company was great. Never want anyone to go through that, but National Interstate made this experience bearable. JMHO
08 Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Beaver View Post
National Interstate is who I have. Just went through a total loss from a fire and the insurance company was great. Never want anyone to go through that, but National Interstate made this experience bearable. JMHO
It'll be interesting to see what your next yearly premium is. Many years ago we had a S & B fire. Shortly after that we had a hot water heater blow out and shortly after that we got a notice informing us that our policy would not be renewed. I still don't quite understand that process. I understand that we cost them a boatload of money for those two events but that is the chance they take. We've obviously moved on but it still bothers me that I became a risk through situations I had zero control over. They never have a problem taking my money when things are going good.

Pardon me while I jump down from my soap box !!

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:45 AM   #42

American Coach Owners Club
I just switched today from State Farm to AARP Hartford and got more coverage on my Mh and autos and saved $2700 a yr.
Saved another $1000 on my home!
Camping money :-)
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, motorhome