Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #1

Leak around AC

We are in the rain in Tennessee and have a pretty good leak coming in around our rear AC unit.
When it stops, I'll climb up there and take a look and see what I have.
I'll need to get something to stop it, some type of sealant.
There is a RV store not far from me and of course Walmart and Lowes.

What sealant should I use?

Thanks

Wm Mayberry
2003 National Tradewinds 375LE
2011 Honda CRV
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #2

Good morning Wm; Don't know what A/C unit you have on the top of your Tradewinds, but the bolts that hold the A/C unit might need to be torqued to specs. Check the owners manual for the A/C units you have. If the bolts get loose, the gasket between the roof and the unit lets water in. Have had it happen to me a couple of times on my 01 Windsor with the Dometic A/C's. I had to just snug up the 4 bolts under the intake cover and the leak stopped. You should not need a sealer. Hope this info helps and I hope you stop the leak. Good luck! Also check for any cracks in the shroud covering the unit!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Good morning Wm; Don't know what A/C unit you have on the top of your Tradewinds, but the bolts that hold the A/C unit might need to be torqued to specs. Check the owners manual for the A/C units you have. If the bolts get loose, the gasket between the roof and the unit lets water in. Have had it happen to me a couple of times on my 01 Windsor with the Dometic A/C's. I had to just snug up the 4 bolts under the intake cover and the leak stopped. You should not need a sealer. Hope this info helps and I hope you stop the leak. Good luck! Also check for any cracks in the shroud covering the unit!
I took the cover off and couldn't really see anything. Couldn't see anyway to reseal anything.
I'll try to tighten the bolts a little and see if that helps.
I haven't been using that rear unit, so don't think it's a stopped up drain.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #4

A/C sits on a foam gasket. Only way to really stop it is to replace the foam piece and then when you install you tighten until the foam is compress to half of its original height. Check youtube, there are several videos on how to do this.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Had roof air on 1st 4 coaches (last 2 have basement) and found anchor bolts work loose while travelling (as others above have stated). Removing the grille inside the coach gained access to the 4 hold down bolts. Don't tighten too much, because as Vettenuts said, its only a foam gasket and you don't want to over-compress it.

Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD, 2015 Equinox
WIT #47083, FMCA #F263635
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
If it leaks in the rain, check the 4 bolts first. From inside your RV, remove the entire plastic. May be multiple pieces. Then you will see 4 long bolts that go up and into the rooftop unit to hold it in place. Tighten them up about 1/8-1/4 inch each.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:16 PM   #7

We have dometic brisk air A/C's. When it rained the rear unit leaked. Our issue were the drains inside the A/C were clogged with mud and mud dauber nests. Cleared them out and also drilled extra drain holes to ensure rain drains out. We live in central Fl, so lots and lots of rain.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:27 AM   #8

I snugged up the 4 bolts and, so far, it has stopped leaking.
Hopefully that will take care of it .
Thanks to all for the help.

Wm
Wet in Tennessee...

Tags
leak