Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #1

Leaking engine coolant. Error message saying low engine coolant. Radiator cap local

I returned from a trip on labor day and when parking I got an error message saying "Low Engine Coolant Level" and the engine shuts off. A few days later, I noticed a drip coming from the bottom of the engine and upon crawling under it appears to be dripping from the corner of the oil pan which if under the fan area. I am thinking that maybe the water pump is going out? I wanted to check the coolant protection level before winter but can't find where the radiator cap is. There appears to be a plastic tank at the top of the radiator which I assume is the overflow tank and fill tank for coolant but I can't see an way to get to the cap. Could it be that you have to remove the floor of the closet in the bedroom to get to that area. That would blow me away as it seems strange that in order to check protection or add any water or coolant, ou would have to go inside of the living area? Can anyone give me advice and also what might be involved in repairing the water pump if it turns out to be what is wrong?
Wayrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2020, 04:36 PM   #2

It always helps to mention the make, model and engine you have in your rig. Many water pumps have a weep hole that will expel a little coolant, but if the bearings and seals have too much wear it might be time for a new pump. If it's tough to access, consider other things you might replace while your in there such as belts, idler pulleys and tension pulleys, else you get to revisit it again a few times. Look up your engine and get the right torque figures for your pump. Some pumps need the bolts torqued in a particular sequence.Make sure it's not leaking from the thermostat housing and dripping down. Another but probably unlikely culprit are freeze plugs in the block that pop out or corrode through. You can buy a dye that shows up under ultraviolet light and your leak will show up dramatically. Once you find the leak, then drain all the coolant and have at it and you should be good to go for a good long time. How many miles are on your rig?
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think you should take a closer look at that cap. It is highly unlikely that you would need to remove the floor panel to access the cap. On my last coach there was a rubber panel that you simply pushed out of the way.
A simple pressure test should help pinpoint the leak. Its not at all uncommon for a hose to leak. maybe you'll get lucky.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:18 PM   #4

If not mentioned plastic tank may be pressure tank. Mine has plastic tank with big green plastic cap that doesn't look like any cap I have seen until purchase . I believe it's 7 psi tank and cap.

EDIT My tank looks similar maybe I just never spotted the pressure cap on top.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...RoCBcwQAvD_BwE
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:59 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just had my plastic overflow tank replaced on our rig. It was leaking in several places. They replaced it with a metal one. The plastic tanks are prone to failure and are not produced any more. It is something you can check.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:38 PM   #6

The tank is called a surge tank and us typically 7-8 lbs pressurized. All coolant is add at surge tank. Hose clamps need to be checked for tightness. On Cummins 5.9 there is a elbow fitting on the bottom of the motor that is poorly cast and fails regularly.
red300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #7

Do you not have an owners manual?????
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, leak, radiator