Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2022, 07:05 PM   #1

Leaking Lippert leveling jacks

I have a small hydraulic leak in my right front leveling jack. The ram is moist and occasionally there is a drop of fluid on top of the foot. In spite of this, it seems to function normally. No noticeable lost of support. Is this something that I can live with or is this a harbinger of a catastrophic failure in the near future? Can the seals be replaced or should I consider installing a new jack? Does anyone have experience with this?
Kenneth Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2022, 07:23 PM   #2

It's not a huge concern to have a small drip, but it will get worse with time. Take the jack off and have it rebuilt. A friend of mine just did one not too long ago. Not too big a job really...
Old 11-22-2022, 07:36 PM   #3

One of my Kwikee 3000 jacks started with a small leak like yours. I forget just how long I went but I think I got a few more months out of it before the leak got too bad.

The other unfortunate thing was that the other three jacks, one at a time, began leaking, I believe, within a year after the first one went down. Unfortunately, the Kwikee jacks on our rig are welded and I didn't trust anyone around here to cut it open, make the repair, and reweld it back up. I ended up replacing all four with new. Not cheap!

It would be a good idea to post the jack brand and model you have to get the right answers you're looking for. Unlike mine, some jacks are fairly easy to rebuild.
Old 11-22-2022, 10:17 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
I rebuilt my LCI jack by a local shop the other month, cost about 170.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:06 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. My RV mechanic said these jacks can't be repaired, however, I just viewed a Youtube video of someone doing just that. In that particular case he only had to replace an O-ring and an O-ring backer for about $5.00. I'm a DIYer and it is well within my ability. The hardest part will be finding the replacement parts. Does anybody know where I can get parts? I'll call Lippert next week and check some local hydraulic repair facilities.
Kenneth Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:22 PM   #6

You might be able to get the O-ring seal out to measure it. Look on McMaster Carr. They have a lot of O-rings. You need the diameter, and thickness of the O-ring.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:08 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Go to a hydraulic repair shop if you have one near you, if not try a parts house like NAPA. Could try a farm implement dealer as well, you'll probably find one. Good luck in your repair project. Happy Holidays.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:39 AM   #8

I've been living with a leaky passenger front jack for two years. I always keep hydraulic fluid on board to top of the fluid tank, otherwise I get the annoying low fluid alarm.

I do find that the further out I extend the jack the more it leaks. I try to put enough boards under the front jacks to reduce the amount of extension.

My future plans include uninstalling to either rebuild myself or use a local shop who confirmed they can do it.
VolDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Neal View Post
Thanks for the replies. My RV mechanic said these jacks can't be repaired, however, I just viewed a Youtube video of someone doing just that. In that particular case he only had to replace an O-ring and an O-ring backer for about $5.00. I'm a DIYer and it is well within my ability. The hardest part will be finding the replacement parts. Does anybody know where I can get parts? I'll call Lippert next week and check some local hydraulic repair facilities.

Your rv mechanic is most likely wrong. Take it to a hydraulic rebuild shop and they can match up seals and re-seal it. Unless they have trouble getting it apart, the cost will be an hour or two of labor and a few dollars for the seals.

It can be a DIY project, but why? having a cylinder bench and proper spanner wrenches etc makes it a gravy job.
Rob_M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 09:03 AM   #10

Some jacks are using welded cylinders so rebuilding involves more work then it's worth.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 09:32 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a part number for the jack, if so do a search on the Lippert site and see if they offer a repair kit or parts.

Take a picture of the end of the cylinder where the leak is and post, we should be able to tell if it comes apart. If it does then it may be repairable. If you can get it apart you can take the end gland to a good hydraulic shop and they can provide the o-rings and wiper seals.

I just repaired a leak on a 4" cylinder on my log splitter, took it apart and took the end gland to the hydraulic shop near me, spent ~$30 on new seals and they even installed the inner one, which is usually a bear to get it to go in right. Before that I needed an inner seal for my backhoe cylinder and the shop foreman just gave me one.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #12

I used ATF stop leak in my '94 PowerGear system for 12 years. Worked fine. Added it once per year on average. Added it to my '02 HWH system as preventative.

If you'd seen the 1/2 to 1 cup of fluid that filled the foot pad of the right rear jack when I first bought the rig, you would doubt it would help much...but the Stop Leak worked! Never bothered with taking the jack off for repair. Only time it would leak a little is when I extended the jack too far.

For a small leak, it should/could work fine.

PS: I am a full timer but I would park for months at a time.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Some jacks are using welded cylinders so rebuilding involves more work then it's worth.

I wonder how they weld it with that burning up the seals. Well if itís made cheap like that then surely it wonít cost as much as a better built cylinder to replace. If you find a good source.

If thatís the case I would try stop leak first. The stop leak rejuvenates the seals and makes them swell a little bit.
Rob_M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
I wonder how they weld it with that burning up the seals. Well if itís made cheap like that then surely it wonít cost as much as a better built cylinder to replace. If you find a good source.

If thatís the case I would try stop leak first. The stop leak rejuvenates the seals and makes them swell a little bit.
I would load everything in and weld the cap on the end without the seals.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leak, leveling, leveling jacks, lippert