Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #1

Leaky Overhead Marker Lights.

[/URL][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

So I've seen a few threads here about windshield rain leaks stemming from poorly sealed marker lights on the front cap, and with the ONE rain we got here this winter the center top of the windshield leaked a lot. I got up and looked at my 3 center lights today. In the two bottom photos they look pretty good, but the top photo shows a couple of obvious breeches in the sealer(top left and lower right). Can you determine just by a visual exam if they leak, or are the leaks usually undetectable visually? Should I just reseal the obvious leaker, or all of them while I'm at it?

Thanks for reading.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2014, 08:00 AM   #2

If you've already gotten up there, pull ALL the lights, clean up the sealant, and then put some silicone UNDER the lights, screw then down, and then you shouldn't even need any sealer on the outside.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #3

Sometimes they recommend not sealing the bottom of the lights so water can run out if you do get a leak...you will have to evaluate the design of the light. If you don't get the top side sealed right and the bottom is sealed good - water will get in, damn up and be forced in any openings.....something to be careful of.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I suggest you peel all of that silicon off and start over. Start by putting a bead along all 4 flanges that are to touch the surface, leaving a small (1/8") gap in the middle bottom for water to drain out. Also put a dab under each screw then fasten in place. The build up around the edges is just a good place for failure and water to enter.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can always do something like this for permanent seals.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #6

No water leaks at clearance lights on my MH, but did have them on my 5ers. Finally I realized water was entering the lens but could not leak out. Water then backed-up to the wiring hole then ran down the wires into the coach. My solution was to drill a 1/16" hole in the bottom of each lens. That stopped the water leaks at my clearance lights.

If this is happening to yours, you will see a "high water mark" on the inside of the lens. I'll bet it aligns with the wiring hole in the base-plate.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I had one that leaked in the middle of the front cap. I decided that 5-6 out of the 14 that need to be replaced some work all the time others go on and off, so I am going to order all new led's and a tube of sealer. they should last longer than me... The new ones have 10 leds per fixture and a lot brighter.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_BUS View Post
Sometimes they recommend not sealing the bottom of the lights so water can run out if you do get a leak...you will have to evaluate the design of the light. If you don't get the top side sealed right and the bottom is sealed good - water will get in, damn up and be forced in any openings.....something to be careful of.
this is so correct. when i replaced all marker lights, i siliconed the upper and sides of it and left bottom unsealed. a little silicone with a finger swipe will do the trick, not to use that much as shown in OP's photos.
btw, etrailer has a large collection of markers, very inexpensive. a small amount of money makes a big difference in appearance.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I've not had good results with silicone. You have to be very careful to clean off all residue, otherwise the new doesn't seem to adhere very well. It's silicone.

I like going with butyl tape...it's easy to pack around the wires while filling the hole the wires go through to stop those leaks, it's water proof, remains flexible and it can be used for underwater applications... Comes in different thicknesses and widths. Just another thought...

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
No water leaks at clearance lights on my MH, but did have them on my 5ers. Finally I realized water was entering the lens but could not leak out. Water then backed-up to the wiring hole then ran down the wires into the coach. My solution was to drill a 1/16" hole in the bottom of each lens. That stopped the water leaks at my clearance lights.

If this is happening to yours, you will see a "high water mark" on the inside of the lens. I'll bet it aligns with the wiring hole in the base-plate.
Maybe that explains the leak I had. It had been raining for a couple hours, steady but not heavy, with no leak. Then when it started coming down heavily it started leaking alot.

Thx for the replys, good things to think about.

Tags
leak, lights