Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2021, 09:12 AM   #1

Leaky Passenger Window...

Hey Fellow RV'ers-
I have struggled with a leaky passenger side window on my 2018 Thor Miramar forever!! Towels around the window whenever it rains! UGH! I have caulked, and caulked with all different kinds of material and the "RV Repair Guys" have tried their magic, but nothing seems to cure the problem. "Yes", I've talked to the Thor Customer Line and they told me to have the Dealer call and talk to their tech's at Thor. So they did... And the Thor tech just said, "Well, good luck with that!" No solution from Thor! My next step is to have the window replaced!! MAYBE that will do the trick. Anybody else out there having a similar problem?
Rich 1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2021, 10:05 AM   #2

Remove any small window, insert a 3/4" piece of plywood in it's place, cut a hole to fit a leaf blower into the plywood, seal it up. Close and seal every vent, seal any obvious holes or gaps with masking tape, like around the door.

Then run the leaf blower while dabbing around the window and UP ON THE ROOF with soapy water. Naturally, you'd be looking for bubbles.

You will probably find that the leak is up on the roof and the water is running down the framing until it reaches the window frame and trickles out there.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:45 AM   #3

Jim that is the first I've read about using a leaf blower in perhaps 15 years. A 2-cycle engine is gonna leave an odor inside while not putting out much air volume. For comparison check out the SealTech machines size and volume.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:54 AM   #4

They make electric leaf blowers, I assumed readers would be aware of that fact.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 1432 View Post
Hey Fellow RV'ers-

I have struggled with a leaky passenger side window on my 2018 Thor Miramar forever!! Towels around the window whenever it rains! UGH! I have caulked, and caulked with all different kinds of material and the "RV Repair Guys" have tried their magic, but nothing seems to cure the problem. "Yes", I've talked to the Thor Customer Line and they told me to have the Dealer call and talk to their tech's at Thor. So they did... And the Thor tech just said, "Well, good luck with that!" No solution from Thor! My next step is to have the window replaced!! MAYBE that will do the trick. Anybody else out there having a similar problem?

Does your window have a weep holes on the bottom frame to let water out if so are they clogged?
Old 09-29-2021, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Does your window have a weep holes on the bottom frame to let water out if so are they clogged?
Exactly the problem I had with the Allegro 31IA at the passenger window. The weep channels cut into the bottom track were fouled with dust and pollen and such and didn't even line up with the slotted drain port of the frame.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Exactly the problem I had with the Allegro 31IA at the passenger window. The weep channels cut into the bottom track were fouled with dust and pollen and such and didn't even line up with the slotted drain port of the frame.
Yep... We've checked the weep holes and they are not plugged! Wish that could have been the problem, darn!
Rich 1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:27 AM   #8

We have similar problem on driver's side. Two repair places say the seal is bad and the window needs replacing. Yes, they checked the weep holes and the caulking. I have been taping the seal during rains instead. Here in the SW we don't get a lot of rain.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 1432 View Post
Yep... We've checked the weep holes and they are not plugged! Wish that could have been the problem, darn!

Since you caulked the window how about the roof leaking into wall and running out around window.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Same issue on our coach, the weep holes became clogged and when we went through a heavy rain water started coming into the inside of the coach, pulled over ran a knife blade several times up into the weep holes and it resolved the issue.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:46 PM   #11

We had our usual record rainfall last week. I checked the M/H for leaks and found the cup holders under the passenger window full of water and the floor soaked. A closer look revealed the sliding window wasn’t in its rubber slide. I also noticed the channel under it, with the weep holes, was gunked up and clogged. Cleaned everything and it works great now. No leaks, no rattles and it drains thoroughly.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:13 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
While camping for a month with several days of rain i noticed water coming from the upper edge of the passenger window maybe 8" or so from the front edge of the window. I cleaned the weep holes then siliconed around the outside top of the window extending down 6" on the sides. Still leaked.

I took the aluminum trim off the inside that went around the window to see what was going on. I noticed water had soaked the wall in the upper front corner area. Next day i went up on the roof and noticed the front cap paint had separated from the roof maybe 1/16". Once home I used 6" eternabond tape on both front and rear caps and caulked from the tape end to the gutter.

LEAK STOPPED.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:02 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Jim that is the first I've read about using a leaf blower in perhaps 15 years. A 2-cycle engine is gonna leave an odor inside while not putting out much air volume. For comparison check out the SealTech machines size and volume.
I think you are probably getting water in from somewhere above the window. You could look into a RV leak finding company that uses a sealtech type pressure system. It would probably be worth the cost.

Casey
Old 01-14-2022, 10:01 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Make a wood frame 16" X 16" and place it on the roof over a vent. put a wood top on the frame and install a dry vac discharge and pressurize the coach

Tags
leak, wind, window