Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2017, 04:48 AM   #1

Learn your lessons as you go

Sure wish we had installed a sure gaurd protector first. Lightning struck ground near our coach. So far we are over 3k in repairs and I am dropping it off at shop today or tomorrow. Tstat convection oven inverter disconnect relays display panel. Now it looks like all tank senders are toast. Also propane switches for fridge are damaged. Both dvd blue ray players. Every gfi in coach. And the list goes on. It has a hard wired sure gaurd now.
dmorris189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2017, 04:56 AM   #2

Even with a good surge protector I suspect your situation would be the same with a nearby lightning strike, there is only so much that a surge protector can do.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:58 AM   #3

They think it ran up power chord
Old 02-14-2017, 05:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Even with a good surge protector I suspect your situation would be the same with a nearby lightning strike, there is only so much that a surge protector can do.
I suspect you are right, Sometimes good idea to unplug.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:24 AM   #5

Wow, did you have your Jacks down? I read someody recommend putting rubber pads under the Jacks.

Sorry to hear about all the damage.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #6

So sorry that happened to you
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My "Learn too late" lession .. a second or two but first:
Lightening has two elements that damage your electronics. First is the power surge. now a "near miss" might be blocked by the MOV's in a proper Surge Protector. Or not, depending on how near (Mine was about 150 - 200 yards and I had no problems. Park lost the Internet router, and the nex door neighbor a fence post, but I had no problems.. IN fact most of the park hand no problems save for one party had a computer get messed up )

I should add this park is very very well wired.

The other part is "Electromagnatic pulse" and that can kill electronics even if they are NOT PLUGGED IN. I'm kind of surprised mine survived, though the most delicate was turned off and grounded so that may have protected it. It is also battery (not line) operated.

Now my story: I wish I'd signed up for Extended warranty in 2013 (i was considering) cause I blew the engine in 2014.. Look to get it fixed about Mar 1 if all goes well.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I had a lightning strike 10' from my house, hit the tree right outside. It did not fry any electronics through the power cords, but zapped multiple networked components through the ethernet cabling, through electromagnetic pulse.

And keep in mind, a direct or very near hit like that is not going to be stopped by a surge protector. if you think how big your surge protector is, then think about how far it is from the ground to the clouds, you will see that something that powerful will very easily be fried right across any surge protector.

Back in the days when we used to do board level repairs on computer motherboards, the most common component fried was the serial port. Stuff on power cords would be just fine, but anything on the phone lines was toast.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #9

Jacks were down and on wood planks. I just keep finding more stupid stuff. This is going to be a big claim in the end. Glad they are taking this with no fights or arguments. Yay for national interstate insurance.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #10

That's good they are looking after you. So you claimed on the insurance and not a warranty?
Old 02-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #11

Old coach 2003 called and asked if they covered and they said yes
Old 02-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #12

They would not cover surge or low voltage damage but would cover lightning strike.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
If lightening can jump from a cloud to the ground a rubber mat or wooden blocks just are not going to stop it. There's only one sure truth concerning electricity. It will ALWAYS take the path of least resistance to ground and it happens at light speed.

Yes there are things that one can do to minimize the chances and possible damage but there are absolutely no guarantees. UN-plugging from the CG power source is one great idea.

There are just way to many variables to consider. Your location to the strike when it occurs. How wet is the ground? To name just a few.

When we had one of those 8 foot satellite dishes every time it rained and if we had lightening it would knock out the dish. Lightening would hit and travel through the ground and into the system. It never failed. It didn't have to hit anything near so it had to travel through the ground. So grounding stuff is misleading. Voltage will travel from and through most medium as long as the potential is great enough.

Most of it is just blind dumb luck. Being at the right place at the right or wrong time and being very, very lucky helps a lot.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Wow, sorry you had a bad experience with lightning. Without a surge protector in place you'll never know if it would have protected you. Glad you have one now. Good luck with the repairs.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote