RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2020, 10:13 PM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry

I do not read the four previous pages.

If you are still watching this.

It’s all about turning and not running over things like curbs and small plants with your rear wheels. Learn where they are. Watch them and the time in your mirrors. And don’t freak out when a semi passes you. Jeff

Hope this helps and you are still watching.
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2020, 10:34 PM   #58

There are videos on You Tube for driving tips. Lazy Days has some that are good.

Here are some of my favorite Driving Videos:

https://www.drivingtips.com/class-a-...-driving-tips/

MARKERS

https://youtu.be/y5MSGqfh8z0

https://youtu.be/4CeThR_A4VI Dot on turns---- Lazy Days cartoon
KingCruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:38 PM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
It’s mostly about turning. Jeff.
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:39 AM   #60

What you could do and whats the best choice are a bit subjective to some however taking an RV Drivers Confidence Course is one of the best choices even if you formerly had driven large trucks or buses.

You will learn how to adjust your seat properly to get to the best driving position to accurately pilot the vehicle, how to adjust your mirrors to focus in the best spot for driving forwards/backwards, discover what watching your hips means, how to handle a blowout without loosing control, etc, etc. For commercial drivers it will be a good refresher course too.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:29 AM   #61

Tiffin Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Lazy Days in FL has a great video on YouTube. Itís about 45 minutes long and they are using an Excursion in the video. It is a little hard to find. I recommend that video. It helped me a ton.s
JMCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #62

Driving Motorhome

The heavier the Bus the Chassis you choose and air bags will determine the ease of driving. A llighter coach would not be my choice. 40,000 lb min weight. For a stable riding unit at 70 mph. Not all MH are eaqual. Buy a quality chassis and a big Diesel engine and you won't regret it. You'll love driving it. Easy to drive and won't get blown around. Good luck.
rdcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
When I was contemplating my RV. I practiced, (pretended for 3 weeks) in my daily 4runner) that I was driving a long vehicle. Taking all things in consideration, IE, all approaching turns, and stops. I bought my 33ft Bounder and went on one 500 mile trip in the mountains. All has been wonderful!!!! I LOVE driving it!!! It's so much easier than I thought.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:56 AM   #64

Claas A Driving Lessons

when we bought our 2018 Ventan LE we took the training at Lazy Days in Florida Very good instructor, but actually just drove around their campground property and WERE NOT ALLOWED TO BACK UP! That was half he reason we signed up The class offered lots of info in the classroom and the seat time was valuable. You can watch Lazy Days You Tube Videos either before or after your class to better explain proceedures. One thing the students and instructor agreed on was NEVER TRUST A GPS!
Even an RV GPS. We always double check our routes with a Rand-MacNally Truckers' Atlas. It details low bridges, road hazards and tunnels . And we have two books, Mountain Passes, East and West. They show steep grades in most every state.
GJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #65

Smile

I 'third' the recommendation to take the driving course at Lazy Days. It is a combination of classroom and hands-on training. We have been RVing for 12 years with 41' class A and Super C coaches. My wife (she also drives) and I still use the basic techniques taught by the instructor - such as: "To make a turn in a DP (front wheels behind you), put the point that you want to go around perpendicular to your hip, and then turn the steering wheel fully in the direction you want to go." This technique keeps the driver from turning too soon (like they would in a typical vehicle with the steering wheels several feet in front ) and hitting a sign, or another vehicle, etc. Good luck.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #66

My husband took classes from rvschool.com prior to driving our Class A from Phoenix back to our home in Oklahoma. He learned so many great tips and tricks from his instructor and said the lessons were worth every penny. Even if you have good driving skills (his instructor told him after he aced backing up through a series of cones, "Ok, you are just bragging now!") it's a new, huge vehicle and it pays to have some experience with another driver, whether it be a friend or a school like my husband attended.
Deblafery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #67

Tiffin Owners Club
I started driving when I was 11 on my uncle's farm. I always liked driving so I didn't take a course for my first rv, just a few miles with me and the salesman. Couple of suggestions. Use your cruise control on the highway. It's one less thing to worry about when driving and lets you monitor mirrors and lane position and the road ahead easier. The left front tire is under the driver's seat. Hence the saying "drive by your butt". When turning visualize where your seat is going and it will help with lane keeping. And don't fret too much. There is a little town I often go thru in central Texas that has a sharp right turn at a 4way stop. The curb is high and concrete and very close to the road. I have to swing wide to get around the turn and have to wait till cars in the other lane move out of my way. Just relax and folks will help you out.
dieseldug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #68

Driving a large RV

I have a "back up radar" on my large SUV that is continually helpful in backing up. I just had an inexpensive one put on the rear license plate frame of my Class A RV. It beeps when you back towards any object....it beeps quicker the closer you get to the object. The beeps become a steady tone when there's a foot left before your back end touches what's behind you. It's a cheap and very handy instrument for when you have to back up in limited space.
SalzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a