Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2014, 07:08 AM   #15

FWIW I think one of the advantages of an A is that you are more aware of the size. It takes a mental shift in the cab of a C to allow for the overhead that one does not have in a P/U. After all the cab is the same so the rig is the same riiggghhhttt. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #16
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Here's a link to a DVD video you can purchase specifically for learning to drive an RV.
RV bookstore - the world's largest online RV bookstore
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Nancy, we bought our MH in Montgomery, AL and drove it back to MS. I was a little nervous for the first 30 minutes, especially with the DW screaming "you're running off the road!" about every minute, but after that I was very comfortable driving it.

Of course, you have to get used to the turns and parking, but that just takes time. Take it slow and easy and you'll be fine!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #18

Rexhall Owners Group
Nancy, I didn't see what kind of RV you are going to be driving, if it is a gasser, you need to plan your fuel stops well ahead, as backing up is almost impossible if you are towing something. I search ahead for PFJ's that advertise RV Lanes. Your outside rearview mirrors will help you stay centered in your lane. Take it easy speed wise, don't try to keep up with the new increased speed limits. If they want to pass, let them pass, and in the big cities with at least three lanes on the highway, stay out of the right most lane where all of the traffic is entering and leaving. Lastly, never panic. If you get into construction zones, and the lanes get narrow, just remember that you are more narrow than the other trucks ahead of you and you will fit if you stay centered. If an orange barrel wanders into your lane, and you can't avoid it without dropping off the shoulder, go ahead an hit it, there are several orange marks on my front bumper as evidence of that process.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here are a few driving tips you can learn from.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Pretty much the same size as a yellow school bus. Maybe your school district runs a training class for the new bus drivers for the upcoming school year you can attend?
Old 08-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #21

It is not that hard and just takes some practice. Just make wide turns and take your time. We bought ours out of Chicago and drove back to CO without ever having driven large vehicles before. I think it takes some planning ahead especially with getting gas. I Have decided against several stations as seemed too difficult. Just had coworker rent 36' gasser and had no major difficulty other than the push from large trucks passing.
I had forgot how much that bothered me before doing the cheap handling fix, but that is another story with hundreds of pages on this forum.
Highly recommend watching YouTube video on what to do in a blow out as exact opposite of what you would think.
Always good to have passenger up front to help spot until you do feel comfortable. Good luck
Cspringsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
I can highly recommend RV Driving School. I did a ride along with Glyn Carson and learned a lot of tips and tricks. It was definitely a good learning experience. Glyn is in the Toledo, OH area. His email is diglyncarsonak@hotmail.com.

Disclaimer: I have no financial relationship with RV Driving School or Glyn Carson. Just an impressed client.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #23

DebbieMH,
RVing women is a support network for women who like rving and travel. Their website is www.rvingwomen.org. They have chapters, rallies and get togethers. I will be attending my first event this fall.
Debbie
dbt803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Nancy, we bought our MH in Montgomery, AL and drove it back to MS. I was a little nervous for the first 30 minutes, especially with the DW screaming "you're running off the road!" about every minute, but after that I was very comfortable driving it.
Same here (and probably for most of us). When driving a car or pickup in the right lane, my line of sight is almost on the centerline of the lane, giving as much room as possible to those in the passing lane.

Doing this in a Class A gets the tires onto or over the white line on the roadside. Learning to adjust our vision point to midway between left edge of lane and centerline of lane takes some time (and a few bumpy passes on the shoulder )
Old 08-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
I recently upgraded from a Class C (27ft) to a Class A (28ft). At first, I did have difficulty driving the Class A and broke off the passenger side mirror. A $500 oops... The Class A does appear to be wider when I drive it. Because I am sitting on the engine, I have no guide to assist me in keeping the motorhome centered in the lane.

i have found that if I use the edge of a vent on my dash and line it up with the yellow center line of the road, the motorhome is centered in the lane. Stops me from checking the mirrors every few seconds.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
In 1975 I was told to drive so you are sitting above the wheel path. You will be in the proper part of the lane. It is because you are sitting above the wheel instead of inside when you are driving a car or C. It still works today.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #27

When I first drove mine I found a road with a yellow line on it, looked in the mirror to see how far away the line was and found a spot on my dashboard that lined up with the yellow line, now I always know where I am in the lane. Remember that your wheels are not at the far back of the coach, you have a huge overhang so when take a corner the back end swings out some, the previous owner forgot this and hit the back top edge on a tree. It's not much different that a class C, in fact I think a class C is harder because you can't look out the side window and see where you are. If you're really worried you can rent a moving truck and drive it around until you get used to it, it's cheaper than damaging your coach.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #28

I drove mine off the lot and 80 miles home having never driven one before. Just took my time and gave myself plenty of room.

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a