Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2021, 07:25 PM   #15
Community Moderator

I went straight to a 43 footer. Let the salesman drive first on a test drive.....tell him to take you to a big parking lot. Watch everything he does. Then when you get to the parking lot, he most likely will give you some pointers and encouragement. Take it slow, and do slow right and left turns to get the feel of it.

Watch YouTube videos on driving.

Look at both mirrors constantly....use your backup camera too.

When you buy it, again take it to a large empty parking lot and practice, practice, practice.

You will feel comfortable within a few hundred miles.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2021, 08:27 PM   #16

I forgot to add a driving tip not found in any instruction video. The driver sits over the left steer tire, much different than an auto or pickup where the driver is inside the wheels. This means driving a MH the driver must hug the center line more than when driving anything else.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:07 PM   #17

I drove big trucks from the time i was 19. Bought the new 36 ft motorhome, drove it 150 miles, and loved the drive home. Just really learn how to use the mirrors, i don't want anyone guiding me. like for my wife to be in the seat beside me so i know where she is. Pull up look it over, make sure there is nothing i the way and back it in. And watch the tail swing!! Happy RV'en
Old 02-12-2021, 09:30 PM   #18

It's not as hard as some might think it is. Lots of great advice given. Having great respect for such a large vehicle is a good place to start.

I might have missed it if someone already mentioned, but be sure to leave plenty of space between you and the vehicle in front of you. Big heavy things don't stop on a dime and that Prius in front of you probably can. Take the time to learn about your air system and how your air brakes operate.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:45 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbFoot View Post
Being a newbie, looking at 45’ coach; how did you get comfortable driving a large motor coach.
We are on our maiden voyage in a 41' DP. Watch the lazydays driving 101 video. Make sure your mirrors are set correctly. You can also mark your front windshield if you'd like. The highway is actually awesome if you ask me. My wife and I prefer 65mph and under. Faster in something this big doesn't seem safe to me with everything that can go wrong.
We made the trip from OKC to Mesa, AZ without a TOAD and we'll have a TOAD for the return trip.
To be honest I'm still trying to figure out driving a Diesel. It's different. You can't just mash the peddle or at least that's how it seems. Cruise seems to do a better job than I do when it's not on cruise. We did a couple 6% passes and we started the descent at 45-50 and the compression brake kept us there without the brake being used.
Unfortunately I looked like a dork when trying to back into our camping site. I haven't had time to practice backing yet. I'm determined to become great at it though.
Good luck.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:30 PM   #20

I drive metro buses for a living..it's normal for me.. I drive Gillig, Novabus/Prevost..from 30-45'
jcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:10 AM   #21

Drove all kinds of RVs worked my way up, plus I drove a lowboy truck hauling oversized loads grossing 150 thousand pounds and 16 ft wide all over the southeast. So you get used to ticking people off . Now I have a 45ft Monaco that is different from my previous coach of 40ft but just take it slow and in time it will get easier and easier.
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:27 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here's a good video from Lazydays

Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Glad you’re saving several steps, Super C included, and going big for your half time use. After years of not hitting any curbs, I did when I went from 42 to 45’. Haven’t for more than 2 years.

I taught our daughter to drive the 42’ Dynasty in two, 2 hour sessions. Took the long way to a large vacant parking lot... making her wait longer to start a turn from on top of the center line, not next to it. Put out some cones and practice backing and maneuvering at slow speed. Made her make several 2-3 point turns where you overshoot the turn and then backup (steering wheel full opposite direction)...sometimes requiring a second time backing up. Often you have to put the nose over a curb in order to make the turn. Hardest are R hand turns with a car in the way. If you do not make them think you’re about to hit them, the rear is going over the curb on the inside of the turn. Occasionally you have to make 3 L turns when there’s a post on the corner of a difficult R turn.

Second session was a road trip and last 15 miles on a narrow, hilly, and curved 2 lane. She didn’t have to use the black dot on the bottom of the windshield for the edge of the pavement...helps in construction zones to get close to the edge and not worry about the other side.

When asked why she did 1500 miles in 2 days (first trip out) she said she was afraid I’d go off and leave her. Did 2 months and 5500 miles with the last 1800 miles not following me...on her own going home from MT.

I’m curious where is the black dot on the windshield?
Mimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Driving home may not be a problem, a challenge might be turning into a parking lot, or a two lane road. Need to practice.

One exercise is backing 150ft straight without hitting cones.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #25

My 1st Class A was 32 ft
My 2nd Class A was 32 ft
My 3 rd Class A was 40 ft
My 4 th Class A is 43 ft
That’s how I learned.
The #1 accident of a newbie is rear ending some one
The # 2 accident is too sharp of a turn and you hit something
The # 3 accident is you back into something
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:38 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimas View Post
Park with the R edge of the rig next to a straight line. Put the dot on the R bottom of the windshield so when in your normal driving position it’s on the line maybe 20’ in front of the rig. Yes, you need to drive looking a couple hundred feet ahead but glancing at it will help in hugging the edge when needed, like in a construction zone. If the R side is as close as possible you do not have to worry about the L side.
Also adjust the R mirror so you can see the edge of the pavement (the straight line above) at the back of the rig. This also helps in seeing someone in the blind spot. In time your judgement will improve to where you never look at the dot. Practicing glancing at the dot before you really need it so in a couple weeks you will not need it.

When I went from 42 to 45’ I didn’t add a dot as the width was the same.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #27

I'm a relative newbie here, never had a RV before. I jumped right into a 43' DP and started driving. First time I ever drove it was from picking it up in San Marcos to home in the NE suburbs of Houston. Route 10 during rush hour straight through downtown Houston. Interesting ride. I've made some mistakes and learned alot. Seeing as how I was and in many ways still am in your exact position, here's what I would pass on to you:

1- It's initially hard to determine where you are in your lane. I tended, and sometime still do tend to crowd the right side stripe, meaning I am further to the right in my lane than I thought I was. The answer to this is two fold. I continually look at the stripe in my right hand mirror to see where I am in relation to it, and I picked a spot along the edge of the dash that the stripe to my left should be running along. It's helps keep me centered in my lane, which becomes REALLY important when you're sharing the road, either in your direction or opposite direction, with trucks as large or larger than you are. Things can get tight and crowded in a hurry, especially in construction zones with temporary concrete barriers erected.

2- I didn't notice this mentioned earlier - you need to train yourself to look UP. These things are tall, and many local streets have tree limbs hanging low enough to beat the hell out of your beautiful new toy. Driving cars and pickups, we NEVER have to look up. In these coaches, you ALWAYS have to look up.

3- Right turns are no longer easy when driving these rigs. Virtually each and every right hand turn needs to be carfully planned and executed. Something as simple as a phone pole sitting too close to the corner can now cause severe damage to your coach. You wouldn't even notice the proximity of that pole when driving your car. When driving your RV, that pole, or the wooden bandit signs hammered to it, become an imminent threat. Go as deep as possible into the intersection before starting your right turn. Use all available road. If traffic coming out of your intersection prevents you from turning wide enough for you to make your turn, STOP. Wait for traffic to clear. Don't worry about the other people. They all want you to go, yet none of them will pay to fix your rig if you ding it up. Never be afraid to stop and hold up traffic for as long as it takes to safely operate.

4- Go slow. It's not a race car, and you're not in a race. They make cars like Shelby Cobras and Corvettes for when we want to go fast. This is our slow relaxing vehicle. I drive it that way.

5- Left turns are easier than right. Just go deeper into the interection than you're used to before turning and you should be ok.

6- Backing up is no fun. Use your cameras and use your partner. Slow and easy. Don't worry who's watching or who's in a hurry.

7- NEVER back into your spot without getting out and inspecting every inch of the spot, including looking UP. I once looked at a wide open spot and decided all was well and just backed in. I hit a tree that was leaning heavily into the spot, but because of where I was looking at it from the street didn't apper to be leaning badly because it was leaning directly toward my vantage point. I mangled the ladder pretty badly on it. My fault and lesson learned. Learn from my mistake. Get out and look, each and every time.

Be confident. Be smart. Be relaxed. Go slow. Have fun.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimas View Post
I have installed 2 colored dots on the windshield.
One on each side that line up with the lane edge lines when seated in the normal driving position.
I pulled into a vacant parking lot and centered the rig between parking lines. I had a helper stand outside and point to a spot on the windshield that I gave directions. That allowed me to then place the marker dot on the inside of the windshield.
I find these very helpful in narrow construction zones, especially with concrete barriers, to maintain lane alignment while looking forward and without need to check mirrors.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote