Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #1

Question Leave bedding on overhead bunk in class A?

Hi, Even though we have never spent one night in any type of camper/RV, we are planning on purchasing one when our home sells and hitting the road for a year. Looking at a Thor Palazzo 36.1. Hoping someone with experience can tell us if it is okay to leave a comforter and pillows on the bed when you are not using it and it is raised back up. We don't want to break anything but think removing and storing the comforter/pillows each night will be a pain. Thanks in advance for any tips or advice. Thank you.
leningeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #2

We leave some on our Fleetwood Terra SE 33s.
It has to be pushed forward but it has been fine
Old 03-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #3

As long as what you are storing is not too thick
Old 03-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #4

We leave a memory foam mattress and all of the bedding up there. We just don't raise it all of the way up. It's about 4" lower than the maximum up position.

The bed frame rattles a little at the maximum up position.

It's a win - win.

The safeties won't allow the bed to move with the engine running. Drives down the road this way, no problem.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #5

Thanks! Hoping to keep fitted sheet on and one thin blanket.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
We leave a memory foam mattress and all of the bedding up there. We just don't raise it all of the way up. It's about 4" lower than the maximum up position.

The bed frame rattles a little at the maximum up position.

It's a win - win.

The safeties won't allow the bed to move with the engine running. Drives down the road this way, no problem.
That is good to know, I didn't realize that you didn't have to raise it up 100%. Helpful! Thanks.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWEAK View Post
As long as what you are storing is not too thick
Thanks so much BDWEAK.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:01 AM   #8

I don't know that I would leave mine lowered a little bit. When you raise it all the way there are safety pins. It does move some while traveling. I would hate to think if it jarred off track while you were driving.
Giant Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:02 AM   #9

Our Winnie has a manual safety mechanism in case the lift fails while riding. I wouldn't feel safe driving, knowing that a couple hundred pounds could come crashing down.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:40 AM   #10

The palazzo has a powered drop down 500 lbs bunk with a cotton cloud mattress.

My Fleetwood has a powered drop down 600 lbs bunk originally with an air mattress.

The Fleetwood has no pins, magnets or straps to keep it from moving while traveling. I noticed some other makes use these thing.

The Fleetwood bunk uses a chain drive, heavy duty as far as I can tell. The only safeguards that I have found are max up, max down, and will not move with the engine running. Adjustable for skinny or chunky GK. JK
Old 03-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I added safety pins in track to keep bed at 100% up position. Ours had a tendency to creep down a little while traveling,rattled and drove me nuts(short walk) as I hate rattles. We have left flat bedding up there while the bed was being used on a daily basis, then strip it for travel, we have an air mattress that came with our coach,it can be deflated and left up there, but we store it under the master bed in a rubbermaid container as our overhead bunk only gets used a couple times a year.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:13 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We leave the sheets and blankets on and just take down the pillows. We have a Miramar and prefer to have the safety pins in while driving. All the best
JD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:48 AM   #13

We are discussing apples and oranges. Lol

The newest powered overhead bunks have no safety pins. They are not necessary at all because they will not creep, fall, slip or slide down.

You do have to use a key back in the living area to unlock one of the safeties. Even with the safety key unlocked, the bed will not move when the engine is running.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
We are discussing apples and oranges. Lol

The newest powered overhead bunks have no safety pins. They are not necessary at all because they will not creep, fall, slip or slide down.

You do have to use a key back in the living area to unlock one of the safeties. Even with the safety key unlocked, the bed will not move when the engine is running.
I have a 2016 Coachmen and it has safety pins. The way the cabinets are attached to the underside of the bunk and sit almost on the dash when lowered, I would hate to think what would happen if it fell when driving.

For the OP - we leave the bedding on the bunk and just remove the pillows and grandson's stuffed animals when we raise it.

AL
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a