Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #1

LEAVING COACH IN STORAGE for MORE THAN A MONTH

I'm a big believer in exercising my coach once a month, as well as checking the batteries, running the generator etc...

I know there are lots of folks that let their diesel pusher sit in storage for months on end, but I'm not feeling good about what my wife is proposing which is traveling to Europe each year for 3 to 4 months.

The thought of letting the coach sit for months without doing any preventive maintenance just doesn't seem right. What's your feeling on letting the coach sit in storage?
It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine sits for 6 months of the year, but it is a gas coach. My work truck also used to sit for 6 months and it never had any ill effects. It was diesel. Unless you are going to take your coach out and run it around town it never really warms up properly.
Enjoy the vacation.
JMO
Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Bounder1st View Post
Mine sits for 6 months of the year, but it is a gas coach. My work truck also used to sit for 6 months and it never had any ill effects. It was diesel. Unless you are going to take your coach out and run it around town it never really warms up properly.
Enjoy the vacation.
JMO
Terry
I exercise it each month at highway speeds and usually make a trip out of it.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #4

Mine sits from October to April in inside storage every year. It is plugged into 30 amp service and doesn't move until mid-April when tax season ends and the snow and road salt are gone. No issues with it sitting. I do take several precautions though. It is parked on concrete so I put down a sheet of plastic under the entire coach. I have had blocks made that I slide under the jacks with just enough clearance to get the blocks under and back out when I'm done with storage. Then I deflate the air bags so that the coach is resting on the four raised jacks as well as the eight tires. Works well for me.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
It should have no problems sitting. Disconnect batteries and have a good trip.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #6

A diesel coach can sit for years and start up just fine, only a little preparation is needed. First treat the fuel with a GOOD biocide such as Biobor JF and fill the tank, also fill the DEF tank. Second make sure all batteries are fully charged and then remove either the positive or negative main battery cable. Third air up the tires to 10 psi over normal running pressure. Set mouse traps inside if you are in an area prone to mice. Open the roof vents SLIGHTLY to allow venting. Shut off propane at main tank. Close all window shades or install window covers if you have them.

There your done, the coach will survive quite nicely for many months while you enjoy your European vacation.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We store ours for up to 3 months at a time once or twice a year. Always indoors and with electric if we can. If not then kill ALL batteries.
Never have had a problem.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
We store ours for up to 3 months at a time once or twice a year. Always indoors and with electric if we can. If not then kill ALL batteries.
Never have had a problem.
Thanks for all the responses.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #9

This a needless worry, enjoy your trip.

-Kevin
Old 05-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #10

Ours sometimes sits for several months between trips, depending on what else we have going on. Never has been a problem.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #11

We store our diesel MH for 6 months outside. This is what we do:

1. disconnect the -NEG cable of the batteries,
2. Fill the fuel tank and add the appropriate amount of biocide (Biobor JF)
3. Place a "Dri Z Air" canister at each end of the MH
4. Vents CLOSED
5. Run the genny under load every 6 weeks or so
6. Leave all cabinets and drawers open for ventilation
7. Winterize the plumbing system

That's all I can think of. Never fails to start up and run just like I left it. We are located ion the very rainy Pacific Northwest.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #12

Mine sits covered outside from October to May. I fill the tank charge and disconnect the batteries , set a bunch of mouse traps , and winterize the water system. The roof vents are opened along with a couple of windows for air circulation. I just reconnect the batteries and I'm ready to go. My diesel equipment will sit outside from 6 months to a year with no problems .
Old 05-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by larliebler View Post
I'm a big believer in exercising my coach once a month, as well as checking the batteries, running the generator etc...

I know there are lots of folks that let their diesel pusher sit in storage for months on end, but I'm not feeling good about what my wife is proposing which is traveling to Europe each year for 3 to 4 months.

The thought of letting the coach sit for months without doing any preventive maintenance just doesn't seem right. What's your feeling on letting the coach sit in storage?
When we bought our MH, it had been stored-untouched in the previous owners barn for 6 years, due to owners poor health.
There has never been any issues that are the result of long-term storage with the coach; the chassis has never had any issues to date.
It you cannot drive a diesel engine vehicle for at least 20 minutes after it has reached normal operating temperature, you are doing more harm than good.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:57 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
we keep our coach, 07 monaco DP, at home, plugged in to 50 amp..........it sits for months at a time with no real issues..............i usually cover the tires, deflate the air bags, have empty tanks, open the frig doors, maybe open the low water drains and drain the hot water tank, but otherwise, we let it sit.........we just got a boat, which is parked BEHIND the bus, so it will be moved regularly this summer to get the boat out............the only thing we do worry about is mice, and we take precautions for those critters.............exercise the genny maybe every six weeks.............yes, i would rather be using it, but things are the way they are..............go to europe or wherever, and don't worry about it.............
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage