Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2020, 05:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKM View Post
Wes A, I have a 2016 Berkshire XL 40 BH and my light only works on high beam. I also replaced the H9 bulb but it still only works on high beam. Did you ever figure out if you had a circuit problem and if so what did you have to do to get it fixed?
BKM: After having no luck replacing the passenger side bulb (single bulb, dual beam - no matter what I replaced the bulb with, low beam still did not work), I brought the coach back to the dealer where we purchased it. The result that was explained to me was different than I expected - they replaced the entire headlight housing, which solved the problem. I had thought the problem was a defective low beam circuit or maybe a switch. I had taken the coach back within the one year warranty, but I believe, being a safety issue, the dealer and Forest River would have had to correct the problem on their dime. I'm not an automotive electrical engineer, so diagnosing the problem is outside the scope of my knowledge, you may have better abilities in that area than I have, but you might want to think about taking your coach back to a dealer, they may be able to fix the problem at no cost to you.
Wes A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2020, 09:44 AM   #16

That sounds like you have a Projector style housing (good) and the Low beam solenoid "gate" wasn't working. The single filament bulb is always on, and the gate is what makes the difference between high and low beam.

The good news, is that is the good stuff.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Adding LED's to a lens that uses halogen bulbs will provide NO improvement. As you stand in front of your coach, there will be bright light everywhere (scattered), but down the rod, where you're looking for more light will actually be worse.

LED bulbs are designed to be used with a focus lens (fisheye looking lens). I experimented on my Monaco Diplomat years ago and finally found the only way to increase down the road lighting, so that you're not "overdrawing" your headlights, is to replace your fog lights with something like a Hella driving light. Keep it low and point it way down the road.

Depending on what your coach uses for a front headlight, there is a way to improve it. My 2019 Dutch Star uses the headlight assembly from a 2010 - 2014 Dodge Challenger. Looking at aftermarket lenses, I found Challenger lenses that used halogen, LED (the assembly had a focused lens) and HID assembly. My coach has the halogen lens, but I could change the assembly to the focus lens and add LED's.
That’s actually wrong. LED retrofit bulbs work best in a reflector housing, HID retrofit work best in a projector housing.

Quality and proper orientation of the bulb is key. I recommend diode dynamics or GTR. The amazon/eBay bulbs don’t compare.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, headlight, led, light, replace, replacement