RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #1

LED headlights

I have searched the site for information on LED headlights and not found any link. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I have a 2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 and am planning a winter trip.
I have read that the lights have poor illumination. I do not plan on night driving but with the short daylight hours I may end up doing some.
I have changed my headlights on my RAM 2012 and know how this works.

My questions are:
Is there an LED headlight that can replace the halogen ones on the coach?
Do I need a signal canceller?
Has anyone done this successfully and what brand did they use for a plug-and-play?
Any specifics would be helpful. I have a month to get this done.
Thank you for any replies.
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 01:41 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mahdi.....adding LED bulbs doesn't help the situation as our Dutch Star lights are designed to reflect halogen bulbs.

I did the research and our front lenses are 2011 Dodge Challenger headlights. There are halogen, LED and HID models of the headlight, depending the on the trim level of Dodge product you buy. I specifically looked at replacing mine with the lens that had a focus beam lens designed to use an LED bulb. The issue....it gets pricey fast between the lens and bulbs....if I recall, some where near $400. It just hasn't been a priority of mine.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:25 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I took my old bulbs to the auto parts place (ORiley) and they crossed the numbers to a LED replacement bulb that put out 2000 lumins and they are great. I am not afraid to drive at night now. My lights were 96 98 Mustang.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
I took my old bulbs to the auto parts place (ORiley) and they crossed the numbers to a LED replacement bulb that put out 2000 lumins and they are great. I am not afraid to drive at night now. My lights were 96 98 Mustang.
I juat call the guy at O Riley an here is the place he found the bulbs, https://www.superbrightleds.com
Old 10-17-2020, 06:54 PM   #5

I used 9006 LED replacement bulbs from M4 on my 2001 MADP.

They are noticeably brighter than my old Halogens.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Mahdi.....adding LED bulbs doesn't help the situation as our Dutch Star lights are designed to reflect halogen bulbs.

I did the research and our front lenses are 2011 Dodge Challenger headlights. There are halogen, LED and HID models of the headlight, depending the on the trim level of Dodge product you buy. I specifically looked at replacing mine with the lens that had a focus beam lens designed to use an LED bulb. The issue....it gets pricey fast between the lens and bulbs....if I recall, some where near $400. It just hasn't been a priority of mine.
Just not true. Aftermarket LED bulbs designed for headlights are designed to work with the reflectors built into the Halogen lamp assembly. I'd suggest looking at this Youtube channel for more info on LED bulbs and how to buy them for your rig.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv0...UNFWYDsf_t9fqQ
Old 10-17-2020, 11:10 PM   #7

Thank you everyone for your responses. Don when I changed my RAM 2500 headlights which were in halogen reflective lenses to LEDs they worked well. You needed to align the LED emitter in a horizontal position. They were brighter and MUCH easier to see with.
Rkesselus you are right. The fittings for high and low lights are different on both halogen and LEDs. The bulb has the number needed. I used them for running (low) light, high light and fog light. In some installations you need a signal canceller to avoid flickering and error signals on the dash. The later type from https://www.superbrightleds.com did not need the canceller addition.
Techwriter, I am not familiar with the M4 bulbs. I wonder how long you had them and do you use daylight running lights. I do for safety.
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just put these LED's in the halogen reflector housings and the improvement is fantastic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these went into the fog lights

Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:32 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
I just put these LED's in the halogen reflector housings and the improvement is fantastic.

And these went into the fog lights

WOW! That's a great price and the reviews are fantastic!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:32 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went with these in my 2000 SeaBreeze in 9005 and 9006 for high and low beam.

They are absolutely awesome.
miatawnt2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:57 PM   #11

Most 'name brand' LED bulbs will be factors better than the stock halogen bulbs; but...you need to properly aim your headlights. I'd wager (if I bet) that the factory aims the headlights like they align the front ends. Which is one of the basic reasons that the headlights are so crappy on our rigs.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:18 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Well Harry, you would be wrong.....Everyone will see brighter headlights when you place an LED bulb in a lens designed for halogen. As a matter of fact, drive down a tree lined street with LED's in a halogen lens. They'll really light up the AREA, like daylight. The reason they're brighter is because they're giving off stray light that will really light up directly in front of the RV, because halogen lenses are unable to focus the beam. You could never fit an LED that can focus the LED light, through the hole in the back of a halogen lens...no matter what the LED sales people say.

With that said, people who want better lighting in an RV, aren't looking for light directly in and around the front end. They're looking for down the road lighting, so that they're not overdriving their lights at 65 mph. So yeah, you'll walk out in front of your RV and go wow...great light, but once you hit the road, you'll find that you still haven't solved your issue.....lighting the highway down the road.

If I'm wrong, please explain why all the new vehicles that come with LED lighting have fisheye (focused lenses). They have focus lenses because that is what's required to get LED's to shine down the road. Both my Acura and Raptor have focused LED lights/lenses, which work great on the highway. The LED's are bright up close and make people feel good, but don't solve the down the road issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:15 AM   #13

I won’t belabor the point. I have LED bulbs in my original housings and they definitely don’t have a scatter effect, because they are a quality bulb. I believe you are talking about projector lenses, which work with halogen as well as LED bulbs. And, by the way, you are incorrect, because my LED bulbs do a much better job of lighting up the road, down the road, than my stock bulbs ever did.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:06 AM   #14

There are 10,000 different LED headlight bulbs on the market. Don must have had a bad experience with one with his non projector housings. Most LED bulbs, especially newer designs mimic the beam pattern of a halogen so they are direct replacements but higher lumens.

This subject has been discussed quite a few times....

There are cheap LED and there are expensive ones. And, the expensive ones are generally better for multiple reasons. Higher Lumens, better aim within the housing, better cooling, lower noise, longer life fans, more compact, longer longevity, better support.

LEDs are NOT just for projector housings. But the combination of a good projector with a good LED bulb being driven by full battery voltage, is one of the better end results. Puts the higher Lumens where you need them (on the road ahead and across with consistency) and NOT in the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Higher end newer autos have both projector housings and LED or Bi-Xenon bulbs. Higher Lumens AND where they need to be concentrated.

One of the largest enhancements of projector housings is the solenoid controlled "gate" that blocks the bulb light from oncoming traffic. That allows you to put more lumens below the eye sight line to make your visibility better. This also serves to use one bulb element as both high and low beam. More effective than the old two filament bulbs that give out different lumens (and different focal points).

You don't read as many folks that upgrade their housings to projector because it's much more expensive and difficult to do (requires someone with a mechanical background) than just swap the bulbs from Halogen to LED (a little harder than changing the oil). And even fewer nuts convert their housing to projectors (hmmm....requires a fabricators experience) But the combination is better than just one or the other (projector Plus Quality LED).

BiXenon is even better than LED for light output and quality....but more expensive, more difficult installation, run hotter, have to be use in a projector housing due to their longer warm up time, and probably less life. Everything is a trade off.

Tags
headlight, headlights, led, light, lights