Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2020, 11:23 PM   #1

LED Light Conversion- 2006 Holiday Rambler

I’m looking to swap out the interior and exterior lights (including headlights) on my ‘06 Holiday Rambler Scepter. Any advice? Pitfalls? Challenges? Recommendations for products?

Much appreciated....
bryfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2020, 12:06 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Well I just finished swapping out all of my interior pot lights with LED's then took down all 7 of my fluorescent fixtures, gutted the ballast and such then glued in some really nice LED light strips into them. Had 39 halogen pot lights at 20 watts each (780 wats total) now only 78 watts. Not sure how much difference the fluorescent lights made but I'm sure it was quite a bit. These are the LED light strips I used, " ICIH (Pack-10) Aluminum DC12V 9W SMD5630 Double Row 84LED 0.5M/20" Rigid Hard LED Strip Light Super Bright Led Bar Home Light with Import Double Sided Adhesive Tape Daylight White 6000K IH-5630DR-DW" and these are the bulbs I used in the pot lights, "Attaljus G4 LED Bulbs, 2.5 Watt Equivalent to 20W Halogen Bulb, No Flicker, AC DC 12V, 48xLEDs Daylight 6000K Bulb, G4 Bi-pin Base Landscape Light Bulbs for Home Lighting (10 Packs)" they are very bright and a nice daylight white color. Myself I don't like the warm white. I also put in some LED headlight and driving light bulbs. What a difference! Got them all off Amazon.
Hope this helps you.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:51 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I’m not sure if yours still uses the same headlights (mine is a 2002 Scepter), but I went with headlights from this place. https://www.vantageoptics.com/shop
WAY better to have the complete light assembly made correctly than to just change bulbs.
TowDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:21 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
I put in LED bulbs into my original headlamp assy's. Between that and proper aiming, I can see as well at night as I can in my modern car. Aftermarket LED bulbs are designed to work in standard halogen headlamps. No need, IMO, to spend $$$ on 'modified' assemblies.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Over the years I have tried many different LED headlight bulbs and did lots of research and found that you need to get LED bulbs with the chips in the exact same position as the original bulb filament. This utilizes the original reflector within the headlight for how it was designed. Tried some in the past that had lots of chips on 4 sides, big bulb, very bright but it didn't project any distance, couldn't see anything. The ones I buy now have the chips in the proper position and work great! In my coach it took 9005's for the high beam, 9006 for the low beam and 880's for the driving lights. They are the compact ones that will fit inside the headlight housing and work great!
I have allot of experience with LED's so if anyone needs any help I would be happy to.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpuff View Post
Well I just finished swapping out all of my interior pot lights with LED's then took down all 7 of my fluorescent fixtures, gutted the ballast and such then glued in some really nice LED light strips into them. Had 39 halogen pot lights at 20 watts each (780 wats total) now only 78 watts. Not sure how much difference the fluorescent lights made but I'm sure it was quite a bit. These are the LED light strips I used, " ICIH (Pack-10) Aluminum DC12V 9W SMD5630 Double Row 84LED 0.5M/20" Rigid Hard LED Strip Light Super Bright Led Bar Home Light with Import Double Sided Adhesive Tape Daylight White 6000K IH-5630DR-DW" and these are the bulbs I used in the pot lights, "Attaljus G4 LED Bulbs, 2.5 Watt Equivalent to 20W Halogen Bulb, No Flicker, AC DC 12V, 48xLEDs Daylight 6000K Bulb, G4 Bi-pin Base Landscape Light Bulbs for Home Lighting (10 Packs)" they are very bright and a nice daylight white color. Myself I don't like the warm white. I also put in some LED headlight and driving light bulbs. What a difference! Got them all off Amazon.
Hope this helps you.
I attempted to read your reply closely, however without paragraphs I had to give up. Sorry.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:15 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I attempted to read your reply closely, however without paragraphs I had to give up. Sorry.
When you respond to 35 post (10/18) I see where paragraphs might help. I didn’t have that problem.

Mdpuff, what 9005-6 LED bulbs do you recommend?
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:42 PM   #8

Great information- thank you! I am going to do some homework based on your info now!Really appreciate the response.....
Old 10-19-2020, 10:43 PM   #9

Got it- thank you! Would you mind sharing what you paid for the replacement headlights?
Old 10-19-2020, 10:45 PM   #10

I agree- besides, my assembly is definitely weathered, despite my attempts to clean and refurbish the plastic.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:55 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
So sorry I didn't break my thread into paragraphs, I will try harder next time.
So here goes.
The LED headlight bulbs I used for my coach are as follows,
Aukee 9005 LED Headlights, HB3 12000Lm 6000K 60W Bulbs Extremely Bright All-in-One Conversion Kit.
Used the same ones for the 9006 low beam bulbs.
All from Amazon.
Now I just need to polish my headlights and I'm good to go.
Gotten too darn cold around here now to do anything so it will have to wait till spring.
TTFN.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:58 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Oh yeah, I forgot to say I paid $57.00 a set Canadian for the bulbs.
Not too bad, you can get cheaper ones and you can get way more expensive ones but these work just fine.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpuff View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot to say I paid $57.00 a set Canadian for the bulbs.
Not too bad, you can get cheaper ones and you can get way more expensive ones but these work just fine.
Got it. I’ve seen a few different options, but this thread seems to say not to but the high dollar bulbs for the interior. I’m looking at your suggestions on Amazon right now. Really appreciate your feedback!
Old 10-21-2020, 08:15 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfire View Post
Got it- thank you! Would you mind sharing what you paid for the replacement headlights?
If this one was in response to my post about buying custom headlight assemblies, they weren't cheap, but they work damn well and also update the look of the front end due to the updated/proper housing compared to just changing bulbs. (They're HID assemblies and not LED.)

Looking at the website where I bought them, they've come down in price though. I paid $650 and they're only $495 now, but I might have run the base price up a bit with additional options.
Here's the "kit" I ordered, but I don't see the exact configuration I went with when I bought mine a few years ago. I actually called them and went through all the options on the phone and configured it to what I wanted. (I went with the Apollo 3 chrome housings and they look great.)
https://www.vantageoptics.com/shop/F...-Kit-p70629599
TowDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, holiday rambler, led, light