Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
LED lighting for outside under awning

I am doing some research on adding the LED lighting kit (under my awning) on my Class A motorhome. It doesn't look too hard to install by yourself. Any ideas on this would be appreciated.
meffrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I got my LED lights off E bay, be sure to get the waterproof type..There are many colors to choose from or get the ones with the remote that you can select the color and other options such as flash, fade and multi color.. They are very bright and make being outside at night much funner..Pretty easy to install but I suppose it depends on the rig..
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I have this light in the awning,

It connects into the porch light, but is basically useless.

I hope you get replies as I would like to do something different. I am not a fan of LED though. I do not like the color hue that they give off, and when you look at the bulb they are bright, but they do not give off the "glow" that a filament bulb does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1926.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	54408  
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I installed the 16' multi colored LED under my awning. It is the one with the remote so the color combos, brightness and dimming can be pretty interesting. Although the tape is shown as 3m on the back of the strip don't count on it staying in place. I bought a roll of double sided out door tape from an Auto shop and applied it to the lite strip and then to the MH. At 65mph on the freeways and also running in the Santa Anna winds the lites have not come off. I ran mine from my outside light. Warning, if you run from the outside door light be sure to remove any light bulb in there as it will melt the little power box. Happened to a friend of mine. He had two bulbs in his outside light. He ran the strip from one socket but left the other bulb in and it did melt the little white box. My strip will run red white and blue along with different shades of each.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:21 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are 2 frame of thoughts on where you should place the lights.
1. On the side of the coach just below the Awning so that they shine outward away from the coach.

2. On the Awning so tht they shine toward the coach.

Now that said if you do #1 then yo will, in theory be able to see out from the coach without having too turn them off.
But if you do #2 then you will not be able to see past them well because they are shinnng in your eyes.

Now as far as which one may be easier to install it depend on where your source power is coming from.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:09 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed a 16' strip on my awning tube over a year ago using the supplies sticky backing. Rolls up in the awning. No problem do far with loss of adhesion. They work well for conversation lighting. For power I run an extension cord with night sensor for auto on /off that plugs into an available outside outlet. I also have a LED 1156 type bulb in the porch light over the entry door which provides additional light if needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:05 AM   #7

I put mine in the awning channel, seen here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f254/fr3-...ml#post1820059
Old 01-22-2014, 06:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
I installed the 16' multi colored LED under my awning. It is the one with the remote so the color combos, brightness and dimming can be pretty interesting. Although the tape is shown as 3m on the back of the strip don't count on it staying in place. I bought a roll of double sided out door tape from an Auto shop and applied it to the lite strip and then to the MH. At 65mph on the freeways and also running in the Santa Anna winds the lites have not come off. I ran mine from my outside light. Warning, if you run from the outside door light be sure to remove any light bulb in there as it will melt the little power box. Happened to a friend of mine. He had two bulbs in his outside light. He ran the strip from one socket but left the other bulb in and it did melt the little white box. My strip will run red white and blue along with different shades of each.

SGTJOE--- did you peel off the chineese "3M" tape before you applied the auto shop tape, or did you just put the autoshop tape on top of the 3M ?
I just had a roll of lights delivered and was surprised to see that it had 3M tape on it, which isn't very sticky so I was going to do something like you did.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Great project, just drill a small hole and seal with 3M 4200 or 5200.

Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I put my 16' strip under the automatic awning ran the wiring into the coach in the same track as the power awning. Wired it to the 12vt fuse panel with a 5am fuse. Works great with the awning open or closed. Mounted the remote with velcro just inside the door for easy reach. This is the third one I have done for myself and friends.

Caution not all so called water proof light strip units are alike. The first one said it was water proof but the control box was not so I had to make it water tight.
jroethke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
SGTJOE--- did you peel off the chineese "3M" tape before you applied the auto shop tape, or did you just put the autoshop tape on top of the 3M ?
I just had a roll of lights delivered and was surprised to see that it had 3M tape on it, which isn't very sticky so I was going to do something like you did.
I did not take the "3m" tape off the strip. Peeled the covering off the tape and stuck it to the double side tape I got from the Auto Shop.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
I did not take the "3m" tape off the strip. Peeled the covering off the tape and stuck it to the double side tape I got from the Auto Shop.
Thanks.... I'll probably do the same
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:53 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
got 2 sections during xmas at big lots abt 10$ a section, i think they are 9 ft long each.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #14

Here's one source on ebay. 2 5M (16') rolls, RF (better than IR) controller & remote for $35. Add a cheap 12VDC power brick and you've got enough to do top and bottom if you wish, just have to figure out the routing.

20 Key RF Wireless Remote LED Controller 12 24V 12A 2x5050 RGB LED Strip Light | eBay

I have mine at the MH to do still. Not sure if i'm doing under the top or on the drum of the WeatherPro. I'd like them on top under and can route wiring right over the roof and down the fridge vent. Problem is there's only one outlet there for the fridge and i'm not sure of the feasability of changing the single outlet to a dual, anyone done that without issues?
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote