RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecdatlanta View Post
Hey Gang,
....One of my projects is to replace all or most of the lighting with LED bulbs. ....

Thanks in advance!
Why?

This is another fine example of energy OCD brought on by idiot politicians in DC and California.

All my lights have a magic device called an ‘ON/OFF’ switch . In the off position, lights use no energy.

By replacing six lights with LEDs, our light load when boondocking is at most 5 watts 95% of the time.

Other loads that we have reduced is by carefully selecting replacement TVs. The almost too big for a MH TV in the main cabin draws 60 watts. The bedroom TV and laptops draw about 30 watts each.

The point here is that lighting in a RV is a classic case of diminishing returns.

When it is hot and humid, I have measure the kwh used on a 100 degree day to be comfortable. The cost is less than one bottle of beer a day.

Replace few LED and call it a win.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2018, 04:11 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Why?

This is another fine example of energy OCD brought on by idiot politicians in DC and California.

All my lights have a magic device called an ‘ON/OFF’ switch . In the off position, lights use no energy.

By replacing six lights with LEDs, our light load when boondocking is at most 5 watts 95% of the time.

Other loads that we have reduced is by carefully selecting replacement TVs. The almost too big for a MH TV in the main cabin draws 60 watts. The bedroom TV and laptops draw about 30 watts each.

The point here is that lighting in a RV is a classic case of diminishing returns.

When it is hot and humid, I have measure the kwh used on a 100 degree day to be comfortable. The cost is less than one bottle of beer a day.

Replace few LED and call it a win.
Did you stop to consider others may do it for reasons other than energy, like reduction in heat, the fun of doing it, to get brighter light for less heat, etc... in my case lights in the ceiling went from 156 degrees on the glass to 88 degrees now.

Personally the cost of energy to me is a non-factor. If I were concerned with energy costs I certainly wouldn’t be driving my 8 mpg coach. Stuff costs what it costs. Worrying about a few bucks and few bucks there takes all the fun out of whatever it is I’m doing.

I like the new brighter look and the reduction of heat, well worth a couple hundred bucks.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Found all the different bulbs I needed at Amazon.com except the fluorescent tubes which I found at Walmart. See this thread for fluorescent tubes. They are not available online you need to go to a Walmart to pick them up. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/led-lights-398730.html

Closet and light over dining room table
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Puck Lights

Sconce and lights over mirror

Bay lights

Under the microwave/countertop

Refer/freezer (festooned style) - I went through 3 different styles before I found the ones I liked.
I should add none of these produce blueish white, these are warmer. See post 20 in this thread to see the color http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/led-...-398730-2.html they are the puck lights to the left, the bright white fluorescents are from Walmart
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Did you stop to consider others may do it for reasons other than energy, like reduction in heat, the fun of doing it, to get brighter light for less heat, etc... in my case lights in the ceiling went from 156 degrees on the glass to 88 degrees now.

Personally the cost of energy to me is a non-factor. If I were concerned with energy costs I certainly wouldn’t be driving my 8 mpg coach. Stuff costs what it costs. Worrying about a few bucks and few bucks there takes all the fun out of whatever it is I’m doing.

I like the new brighter look and the reduction of heat, well worth a couple hundred bucks.
Some great points sdennislee!

I would add one more: The hassle of having to change out bulbs every time an incandescent bulb blows. I prefer to change them all, in one fell swoop, and be done with it. LEDs will likely outlive my coach. So not having to store replacement bulbs and changing them when it's convenient for the low-tech buggers to bite the bust (which is likely not a convenient time for me), makes changing them out a no-brainer (especially when one considers the other reasons you listed).
mecdatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Did you stop to consider others may do it for reasons .....
Sure that is why I started with the word 'why'.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, cover, led, light, lights