Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #1

Led strip lights

I want to replace my old lights with led lights. I am looking for strip lights with the adhesive back. They are 12v and would like to get a roll of 15ft or so and be able to cut to the required length. Any suggestions of a good supplier. thank you for any help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Camping world sells the LED strips. I think they are high on their price. My used MH came with LED strip lighting underneath and along the top of the basement cargo doors and on the awning. The lights have remote controls and feature all basic colors, several different flashing patterns, or steady on. I get comments at every campground. I have no idea where the light strips were bought. I can't find any paperwork in the MH about the lights. Possibly ask your local RV dealer and they can hook you up with lights. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM!!
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I bought my supplies from Ebay, lots of options including the hue of the light and brightness. I converted all my fluorescent light to LED.

I did 3 at a time to make it efficient.

I took the old lights out and stripped everything out including the metal piece covering the ballast.

I completely cleaned each light and wiped down with a good cleaner at the end to help LED strip adhesion.

I also added a 2nd switch.

I put 3 strips in each light, I wired the outside strips to the original switch and the center to the 2nd switch, this allows me to have 1, 2, or all 3 strips on depending how bright I want it. Lots of flexibility.

Total cost was less then $80.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
I bought some bright whites off Amazon for under $10 w Prime sh.
They where waterproof also BTW.
Cut a section and installed under my door awning, added a full strip under the main awning tied into outside light work great.

Eric
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #5

I ordered my strips from Amazon Prime, also connectors to match. Cut the wires from the switch close to the ballast to allow plenty of extra wire for connections. Cut strips to length, attached connectors to the strips and used proper size wire nuts to connect strips to the wire from the switch. Cleaned the light fixture with rubbing alcohol so the adhesive would adhere and pressed the strips into place.

I used 2 or 4 strips per fixture. I used daylight strips and cool light strips depending where the fixture was located. Took about 20 min per fixture. If I were younger it would have gone faster I'm sure.

I have two more to go. Cost about $2-3 each. Should have done it years ago.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Amazon or if you happen to be in northern Indiana/southern Michigan swing into Bontrager's Surplus – RV and Mobile Home Supplies

they usually have a good selection at reasonable prices. I picked up some last time I was there. 16' for like $15
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:41 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had good success with LEDs purchased from the internet vendor SuperBright LEDs. I purchased a roll of LED lights which could be cut to fit under my kitchen cabinets to illuminate the countertop. They have worked very well.

------ Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:45 PM   #8

I put the diamond brand on mine from C/W. There nice when they work, but the remote is just horrible at best...
jamador1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:05 PM   #9

When converting to LED it helps to know color temperature. For example, 2800K is about the same in color as a standard incandescent bulb, somewhat yellowish (also called warm white). The 3000K is whiter and on up it goes. You will see 4000K and 5000K lights. The higher the number the whiter the light. Whiter light is good for work areas and work surfaces but maybe too white for a bedroom. LED is a great technology for Motorhomes. They open up a whole new world as to location of the lights and power consumption. We went beyond replacing old lights, rather removed all the lighting and relocated to suit our needs and preferences. No more plastic lights hanging from the ceiling. In the kitchen, lights are now under cabinet and over the sink. The sink LED is fixed to the slide header and you would hardly know it is there until you turn it on. This accomplished a clean and modern esthetic we were looking for with all work surface evenly and well lit. Even going as far as replacing 110v. AC lights with 12v. DC LEDs. When done, there will be no 110 lights left. One word of caution when buying online, pay attention to seller "feedback." Like anything else, there are the junk peddlers.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #10

Replacements for incandescent bulbs

I've replaced 8 of 16 interior incandescent bulbs with LED's from M4LED. Their 921-24-5050-WW replaces our 921 wedge based bulbs. The color, 3200 Kelvin, is warm white and the amount of light is as close to that put out by the incandescents as I can tell.

I also bought an LED light strip through Amazon.com and placed it up under the awning. I spliced in a longer 12v cord and ran it down through the aft awning rail on the side of the coach so I wouldn't have to climb up to hook up the 120v to 12v DC power source. My goal is to locate a constant 12v source so I won't need the AC-DC converter. But, until then ...
norrirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:16 AM   #11
WDW

Check out SUPER BRIGHT LEDs. Tremendous selection, great prices, great service.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
BTW. My 2014 Tiffin Allegro LA36 Open Road came with LED lighting everywhere even the basement compartments.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought mine at home depot and used under awning. I can't tell ya how many colors it does but its lots. I wanted chasers but these don't have that feature.

16.4 ft. LED IP65 Rated Strip Light Kit Suite, online $28.00.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160121_195857.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	137247   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160826_230823.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	137248  

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:59 AM   #14