Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
LED taillight replacement options?

After following our "new" 2001 Allegro Bus, I am of the opinion I would like to replace the tail light assembly's with LED lights.

I think I can get the headlight restorer kits to brighten the plastic on the headlights and the tail light assembly's to make them look good, but the bulbs sure are wimpy looking.

Any advise from folks here on if it is possible and where to get the replacement bulbs? SuperBrightLED's has a nice selection it seems, I used them for my horse trailer to update lights.

Thanks so much everyone in advance.
McKTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #2

Retired Fire Service RVer's
We have a 2000 Allegro Bus and I did not replace my stock bulbs I just increased the brake/tail lights to the rear by adding two LED brake/tail light aftermarket sealed units.
They are fully sealed and I just drilled three holes...two for the stainless screws and one for the two wires.
I then silicone sealed the edges and wired these lights into the existing four pin trailer plug...worked better than I hoped...very bright...impossible to miss unless txting.
Bought these lights at O'Rilley auto parts store...$22 each...cheap for what they do and fairly easy to install.
I can take a pic and post if someone would like to see.
I installed these lights at driver eye level.
Paramedic 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #3

How about a pic?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:34 AM   #4

I changed mine.

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:01 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
WOW love those! Would you be able to share a link as to where those came from?

Easy to do yourself?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #6

Very easy plug and play.
Bargman Led lights | etrailer.com
Old 08-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I changed mine.

Mike,
Hey Bud, it looks like you might need a few more lights on each side. Not sure you have enough Pal
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKTX View Post
After following our "new" 2001 Allegro Bus, I am of the opinion I would like to replace the tail light assembly's with LED lights.

I think I can get the headlight restorer kits to brighten the plastic on the headlights and the tail light assembly's to make them look good, but the bulbs sure are wimpy looking.

Any advise from folks here on if it is possible and where to get the replacement bulbs? SuperBrightLED's has a nice selection it seems, I used them for my horse trailer to update lights.

Thanks so much everyone in advance.
McKTX,
You've mentioned one of the premier websites for LED components there is. www.superbrightleds.com is a great site to deal with. While they MAY be up there in price, they're not all that far from other suppliers on the mainland. If one chooses to go to China for theirs, well, it's up to them.

Now, as your lights, I don't know your light configuration or style but, you may be able to have or do what Mike has and that's a complete assembly change-out. If you can't, then superbright will definitely have what you need. I've purchases a ton of bulbs from them and, have been totally happy with the turn-a-round time, price and all. And, I've been dealing with them for years and, have not had to return one bulb for being defective.
Scott
Old 08-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Mike,
Hey Bud, it looks like you might need a few more lights on each side. Not sure you have enough Pal
Scott

That's the way Country Coach made it. I just changed them to led.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:21 AM   #10

Can you not just swap out the existing standard bulbs with LED equivalents ? There are all sorts of cross overs now.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
That's the way Country Coach made it. I just changed them to led.
Mike,
Yeah, I know, I was just razzing you. It's amazing that some coach builders put ZERO effort into tail light assemblies and, some, GO ALL OUT so that people following are DEFINITELY aware of the intensions of the driver of that coach and, THEY LOOK GOOD TOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
Can you not just swap out the existing standard bulbs with LED equivalents ? There are all sorts of cross overs now.
britcon,
In many cases, yes, you can just swap out the bulbs. And, depending on how the light housing was designed, you can get fairly nice lighting results. Most of the time, it's quite a bit cheaper than replacing the entire assembly. But, on the other hand, the newer and more modern complete LED tail light assemblies are built for maximum refractivity and, reflectivity. In other words, they REFLECT as good as they project light. While LED bulbs do use less amperage and, are a much faster reacting bulb, in many cases, they don't broadcast light as well as their counterparts, the incandescent bulb.

Hence, the newer more modern technology maximizes all phases of the LED in a complete assembly by building multi-angle mirror-like assemblies in the rear section (housing) of the assembly. That way, you more out of the bulb, than it's actually putting out.
Scott
Old 08-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #12

http://www.m4products.com

Great company. I've replaced most of my lights with LED lights from M4.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Mike,
Yeah, I know, I was just razzing you. It's amazing that some coach builders put ZERO effort into tail light assemblies and, some, GO ALL OUT so that people following are DEFINITELY aware of the intensions of the driver of that coach and, THEY LOOK GOOD TOO!

britcon,
In many cases, yes, you can just swap out the bulbs. And, depending on how the light housing was designed, you can get fairly nice lighting results. Most of the time, it's quite a bit cheaper than replacing the entire assembly. But, on the other hand, the newer and more modern complete LED tail light assemblies are built for maximum refractivity and, reflectivity. In other words, they REFLECT as good as they project light. While LED bulbs do use less amperage and, are a much faster reacting bulb, in many cases, they don't broadcast light as well as their counterparts, the incandescent bulb.

Hence, the newer more modern technology maximizes all phases of the LED in a complete assembly by building multi-angle mirror-like assemblies in the rear section (housing) of the assembly. That way, you more out of the bulb, than it's actually putting out.
Scott
That's what I want with my Allegro's tail lights, want them to totally LAY IT ON the folks behind us as to what our intentions are.

So my question is, do I just take a picture of my current light set up and send it to etrailers.com with a phone call? I totally want plug and play if i can. Those lights look sooooo good! Bling, Bling gotta love that bling!
Old 08-29-2015, 08:13 AM   #14

I just got the numbers off the lense and started surfing the web. I ordered mine from three different places. PPL,carid and etrailer. The clear reverse only carid had.

Tags
ace, led, light, replace, replacement