Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2016, 03:13 AM   #1

Leech Neville Alternator

Anyone know where I can find a 200a Leece Neville alternator part " A0014951PA?" Mine quit on me and smells really burnt.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2016, 03:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
Anyone know where I can find a 200a Leece Neville alternator part " A0014951PA?" Mine quit on me and smells really burnt.

Plug that number into google, see if one is close to you.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
There are "pages" of them on Google but seeing the prices, I would be looking for a rebuilder...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:41 AM   #4

Looks like NAPA Auto Parts has a replacement for about $450 after core.

Have you thought about getting it rebuilt at an starter/alternator rebuild shop? I've had good luck going that route.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:43 AM   #5

Call these guys

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/cate...lternators.htm
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Unless you can find the EXACT replacement Leece-Neville Alternator for your coach I would look for a reputable place in Santa-Clarita or San Fernando Valley that rebuilds alternators and have yours rebuilt with Leece-Neville parts. Yes, make sure they will use original parts otherwise they will be china knock-off parts which will not last as long.

Also, remember that usually the alternators used on the these coaches are DUVAC which are different than your normal alternators used on trucks and buses.

Rebuilt should be around $200 or so. A new Leece-Neville will be between $800 and $1000.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:57 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had my 160 amp Leece Neville rebuilt for ~$185 a couple years ago, turn around was 24 hours.

If you do have trouble contact Prestolite, I had gotten information when I might had to replace mine.

Kevin Taylor

ktaylor@prestolite.com
Technical Services / Applications Engineering
Leece-Neville Heavy Duty Products
9108 West Main st.
Rushford, NY 14777
Office: 585-437-5210
Cell: 716-474-9407
Technical Call Center: 866-288-9853

He recommended contacting.
Elreg dist. In Burlington.
There phone no. is 905-336-8830
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:49 AM   #8

Ditto n a rebuild. Our exact same one died. Went for rebuild and once they go it it apart everything was trash. All they could reuse was the case. Still easy cheaper including g installation than a new one
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #9

Richard, how do I find out if it is a Duvac alternator or not? I found an ACDelco 28SI alternator that is designed to replace it but if mine is a Duvac then I would need to modify it. I replaced my Leece with an ACDelco on my last coach and it worked great. I should have looked into all this yesterday when they were open. Oh well. Next week will have to do. Do you know of any rebuilders in the SCV area?

The other question I have is why didn't my alternator fail light come on when the voltage dropped? When it happened I felt a quick glitch in the way it was running and then a few miles later noticed that the voltage reading was low on my gauge as well as my VMSpc and my Alladin. The battery voltage dropped to 12.4 and while I was driving, I started the generator and pressed the battery boost button and held it until it started to charge the chassis batteries. One they reached around 12.7 I released the button and it continued to charge the chassis batteries until they ran at around 13.1.

Does anyone have any thoughts? The alternator has 3 wire connections to it. The positive cable, the negative cable and a gry/white wire coming from PCB #3 board in the rear junction box that contains the alternator fail relay. I believe that this is an internally excited alternator but I could be wrong.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I replaced the 160 amp Leece Neville alternator on our '02 Dutch Star a few years ago. Took some looking but found one, cost was about $450 as I remember. Then I took the old one to a semi-local rebuilder and had it rebuilt, cost was just under $200. So I have a spare, then we traded the rig off.
I'd be looking for a rebuilder close to home. cheaper and just as good.
with ours the only thing I noticed was my gauge read low and our batteries were low after traveling for the day, no lights showed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:43 PM   #11

Thanks Mr D. I am trying to find a Leece Neville near home also trying to find parts availability of i want to overhaul it myself.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #12

The clue to needing a Delvac alternator is if you have a diode based isolator or not.

With a diode isolator, the diodes block voltage TO the alternators internal regulator. The alt output is directed to the diode isolator and then distributed to both batteies thru the one way diodes.
The Delvac is a workaround for that.

With a solenoid or big boy contactor used in today's MHs, the alt is connected to the chassis battery.

The BIM, BIRD or IRD send power to the house bank.

It sounds like, from your discription of charging the chassis batteries with the boost switch, that you do not have a diode isolator. They only charge from the engine to the 2 banks. Not from the house batt. charger to the chassis batt.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #13

Twin boat, my schematic shows that the positive post on the alternator is hooked directly to the chassis batteries on the hot side of the battery disconnect switch. The small wire goes to the alt fail relay. So am I correct that mine is NOT a Delvac alternator???
Old 03-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Twin boat, my schematic shows that the positive post on the alternator is hooked directly to the chassis batteries on the hot side of the battery disconnect switch. The small wire goes to the alt fail relay. So am I correct that mine is NOT a Delvac alternator???
Correct.

Tags
alternator