Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
left turn signal blows fuse

I am into day four trying to understand what is wrong.

only the left turn signal blows the fuse and the lights flicker and dim just before.

this on a 1999 Pace Arrow Vision with the Chevy 454 ENG. I have maintenance manuals but it is confusing. I can find nothing wrong, I even pulled the steering wheel looking for cut wires. This morning It seems to work just fine.

Please help! I am out of ideas..................Donny
donnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyman View Post

only the left turn signal blows the fuse and the lights flicker and dim just before.

this on a 1999 Pace Arrow Vision with the Chevy 454 ENG. I have maintenance manuals but it is confusing. I can find nothing wrong, I even pulled the steering wheel looking for cut wires. This morning It seems to work just fine.

Hey Donny, Is it the left front or rear? Just remove the bulb check for grounds at the socket.if none change the flasher.maybe you moved the problem by checking signal wires got to be possible also...
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello Richard
Thanks for responding, conversing with others stimulates my thought process.

Only the left turn position causes the short, the right works just fine.
I pulled the bulbs tested and inspected the wiring ....nothing!

I have been trying to locate what is shown as a diode block, if the block is bad it could pass voltage to the wrong side of the circuit. but I don,t know what it looks like or where it is located.

I am open to any and all ideas.

Donny
Old 06-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Donny, go to files downloads there is fleetwoods wiring for a 1994 p30 maybe this will help!iRV2 Forums - Files - 94 Pace Arrow Electric 1
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
YC1

If you have a trailer towing plug take it apart and look for a loose wire. It only takes a couple of minutes and is common.
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #6

Could also be a short in the turn signal stalk, but try this, turn on the hazard flashers, if it still blows the fuse, its a wiring issue, if it does not, it is probably in the stalk. Also check that the lamp is in correctly, if it is a 1157 bulb. If this bulb is inserted backwards (yes, it can be done, it's harder to push in and turn though) It sometimes will short to ground. If it has the trailer towing package, the trailer plug should be on a different relay and fuse, so I don't think that would be it unless it was installed aftermarket.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:52 PM   #7

I've seen similar issues in the column arount the tilt mechanism; Tilt the wheel and the problem comes and goes. To check out the wires fully you have to disconnect the multiple connector at the base of the column and raise the T/signal switch 8" to view the wires in that area.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you all for responding. I will try all suggestions and post the results.

SKIP426 The frustration of this situation is I had the harness pulled, but not far enough to inspect it. so it will be pulled again if all the other ideas don,t work.

Donny

I also found the AUX battery dry, and a voltage reading of 16+ volts across the leads with the shore power line connected. I must have ticked off the motor home gods.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

At my shop, I always started with the easiest and trouble prone area. That would be the socket. Remove the front bulb. feed the wire through the socket from the rear. make sure the end of the wire is not touching any ground.
try the signal. if it still blows, reassemble and move to the rear. repeat.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question

Hi folks it's me again!

Would you believe all the blinkers (for now) are fully functional

I did find the hazard fuse blown, I think I had the hazard flasher in the on position all night but nothing was flashing.

I moved the tilt assembly several times so,
I will pull the flasher (multi functional) wiring harness anyway it has to be something like what skip426 said, wiring problems don,t come and go without a reason. And it will fail again when I need it the most.
no matter what, I will post stuff as it happens.

Donny
Old 06-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
HELLO GA TRAVELER!

I have done as you suggested. and noticed all my sockets are non conductive. which makes me believe a short would not happen.

Also can a bulb cause failures in these systems other than cause a open in the circuit?
it seems every thing is on the ground side of the circuit and it is in series.

Thanks for your response ............Donny
Old 06-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #12

Quote:
HELLO GA TRAVELER!

I have done as you suggested. and noticed all my sockets are non conductive. which makes me believe a short would not happen.

Also can a bulb cause failures in these systems other than cause a open in the circuit?
it seems every thing is on the ground side of the circuit and it is in series.

Thanks for your response ............Donny
Yes, a bad bulb can cause a short. Then a couple of thoughts. If you can't find that short because it's so intermittent, you might wire in a 15A circuit breaker where the fuse goes. It'll protect the circuit, but reset by itself. This might let you finish up a trip you're on. Second, you mention the output voltage of the converter at the battery. It COULD indicate that high if there were no load on it - like when it's not connected to a battery. To see if that high voltage is your problem, you need to install a good battery, let it charge for a couple days, THEN see what kind of voltage you have. Anything much over about 14-14.5v I would start looking into further.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello ahicks

I am again finding out how much I don't about the way these motor homes are set up.

The short is again gone but I know it will return so the wire harness in the steering column will be pulled and inspected. I am puzzled as how a bulb can cause a short but then one can't tell by the way these things are wired.

I believe you are right about the battery charging circuit. The voltage I read was with the batteries removed. so I disconnected the shore cord for a while and my last reading was 13.4 volts we will see tomorrow how all this pans out. meanwhile I hope the battery survives, It was dry and out gassing, it looks ok on the charger, only time will tell.
I have a downloaded manual from Intellipower it says if the voltage is above 13 volts the charge circuit is working. ...............thanks
Old 06-19-2011, 02:48 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Donny
Years ago I installed a circuit breaker in place of the turn signal fuse that burnt out on rare occasions. Check auto part stores for a circuit breaker that plugs into the fuse block in place of the fuse.
Dwight
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse