Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2021, 12:07 PM   #1

Legs up, legs down?

Wondering if I should store Motorhome legs down to relive the pressure from load on springs. I have been doing this to (hopefully) reduce the constant load on springs. Opinions?
tom3855wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2021, 12:33 PM   #2

Ya gotta weigh it (no pun intended). When stored, about 95% of the time, ours stays on the tires. Going on 18 years without any issues. My thinking is that I don't have to worry about the jack pistons getting grit, dirt, or rust on them while exposed to the elements.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I like the idea of relieving the weight of the coach off the tires when in storage. So I followed someone else's idea and use stacked 2x2's under each jack so once the air is fully dumped the jacks are very close to the boards. Then I lower each jack a few inches to put the weight on them. That way they aren't fully extended and exposed to the elements.

But I've read about others that either never use the jacks (as above) or always use the jacks fully extended and never had problems either.

Maybe there's no wrong answer.
RoadTrip2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:57 PM   #4

I store with jacks down.. try to get about 50% on jacks.. kinda have to guess.. I then take old clean grease that I don't use any more... I always end up with a tub or two of grease..
Then smear it on exposed jack CYLINDERS.. and steering damper ... that protects the CYLINDERS from the elements... and steering damper
Then just clean up with wd40.. wipe CYLINDERS down.. clean CYLINDERS lip seal with wd40 .. take 1/2 hr.. but works great..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 11-05-2021, 06:05 PM   #5

I store with the Jacks Down. I like the coach level and if I have a slow leak in a tire and it goes flat, the tire remains in the inflated shape.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

This is a topic that is much over-thought. Just do whatever seems best to you - it's no biggie either way.

The jack manufacturers like them retracted to protect the ram from dirt & corrosion. Tire makers like them down to reduce load on tires. Maybe the spring or air bag guys too. Realistically, I doubt if it makes a hill of beans difference.

We mostly kept the jacks down at home, mostly because we are in & out of the RV regularly even in the off-season. It's just more convenient that way.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:39 PM   #7

Either way will work. If you extend them for storage I would at least clean the cylinders off before retracting.
HWH confirmed storing either way is OK.
I built blocks just shy of the jack plates when MH is aired up. Drive in, place them under the retracted jacks and done. As the MH settles down off the air suspension the weight is transfered to the blocks and tires carry less of the weight. I also air the B tires up to close to max Press to minimize flat spots.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:49 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If stored for long periods with weight on tires....they can get a flat spot which is not fatal but annoying for a couple of hundred miles.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:00 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
You'll get answers from people in both camps. DH wanted to take a bit of pressure off the tires so that's how ours were always stored. As Gary posted, probably makes no difference. Just personal preference.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:20 PM   #10

The tires and springs are designed to support the weight of the coach. I don’t understand why people think they have to change that dynamic just because they are parked for an extended time. In decades owning a DP, I have never done this when parked for long periods at home in the garage.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:23 PM   #11

Flat spotted the rear tires on my last motorhome because it sat too long in one place. Minimized the vibration somewhat by turning the outside tires 180 degrees, but it never went away, so I always store with jacks down now.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:33 PM   #12

Michelin on storing tires:

quote:
"Storing your tires:
  • Store your tires indoors in a clean, cool and dark location away from direct sunlight, sources of heat and ozone such as hot pipes or electric generators.
  • If you are storing outdoors (recommended for a short time only), raise tires off the ground and use waterproof covering with holes to prevent moisture build-up.
  • Be sure the surfaces on which tires are stored are clean and free from grease, gasoline, solvents, oils or other substances that could deteriorate the rubber.
  • For aesthetic reasons, if your tires have whitewall or raised white lettering, store them with the whitewall or raised white lettering facing each other. Otherwise, black rubber could stain them.
  • If tires are on a vehicle parked for a long period, the weight of the vehicle needs to be taken off the tires by jacking it up or removing the tires. Failure to do this may cause irreversible damage."
Tireman9 is a retired design engineer, visit his website rvtiresafety.net and read up on tires in storage.

As to jack shaft corrosion, HWH jack shafts are made from stainless steel = no corrosion.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:16 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't worry about it, as Gary said it is much to do about nothing. Modern day RV days won't get flat spots in their tires. That's an issue that occurred 20+ years ago with nylon tires.

For those DP owners, if you're concerned, just cut some wood blocks about an inch shorter than the bottom of your jacks when aired up. Air down and you'll take the weight off of the tires and not expose the jack rams.

For gassers, you can do something similar, make some blocks or jacks that are about an inch or so taller than your frame, raise the coach with the jacks, slide the blocks/jacks under and lower the coach.

All this discussion makes my back hurt and adds another layer of chores I don't want to do or see a reason for doing.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

• If tires are on a vehicle parked for a long period, the weight of the vehicle needs to be taken off the tires by jacking it up or removing the tires. Failure to do this may cause irreversible damage.
This had to be written by a lawyer. Typical corporate CYA nonsense.

I have stored my coach for MONTHS (in 2020 we didn't go anywhere for 8 months) sitting on Michelin tires, and had no flat spots or any other problem. There were dozens of other, shorter periods over the nine years we've owned this coach where it was stored by backing it into the garage, setting the brake, and going home. Done.

Seriously, all this extra work some of you want to do - for nothing - gives me a headache.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote