Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Which is better 34' or 37' Class A
36' Class A 27 90.00%
34' Class A 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2023, 04:22 AM   #1

Length of Class A

I am looking at buying a Tiffin 36 LA or a 32 SA 37 and 34 feet in length. My question is is there a big difference in traveling with these lengths of motorhomes?
I want the extra room and W/D but also want to be able to access State and National Parks.
cigarman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2023, 05:24 AM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarman1 View Post
I am looking at buying a Tiffin 36 LA or a 32 SA 37 and 34 feet in length. My question is is there a big difference in traveling with these lengths of motorhomes?
I want the extra room and W/D but also want to be able to access State and National Parks.
1st, Are You going to be "Full Timing/Part Timing" or are You mostly going to be in Vacation use mode? ie: a few weeks a year or a vacation.
The 30' to 34' will give you more parks to choose from..
That said, You will have to give up most of those "Wants" that you have listed when in the smaller/shorter RV's.
And to address Your question of differences while on the road..The larger the MotorCoach, the more "Comfort" You will experience. ie: easier to drive with less concern about weather/wind or big semi's pushing you around.. and more creature comforts available too..

We have a 40' DP and yes, some parks will not have the larger camp/parking spaces available.. In that case, We just park in a commercial campground or boondock outside the state/national parks, and use the toad to tour the park.
Happy Trails.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 05:56 AM   #3

We can get our 37 into most state and national parks. The parks that won’t allow our 37 won’t allow a 34.

We’re going to Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Denali, and Arches this year. 40 feet is the maximum length allowed on those parks.

The parks that I miss are the small Colorado state parks along rivers that have a maximum length of 25 feet allowed. Obviously a 34 wouldn’t help there!
Old 05-07-2023, 08:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We have had several RVs over 3+ decades of RVing and our shortest was 32', now at 40' in our current coach we rarely have an issue as long as we plan ahead at some of the places where there are just a few sites available for the big rigs. Out west in the four corner states where we do 90% our our RVing there is always sites for the big rigs, at least in state, COE, and military RV parks we frequent. Can't speak for back east as we have stayed primarily in private parks without issue, I know older national parks are very limited for our size rig, no biggie as we have no desire to visit anytime soon.
SandiaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 08:47 AM   #5

As you get larger, by definition there will be fewer and fewer sites your RV will fit in. Having said that both are going to be too large for the more restrictive national park campgrounds, where the size limit is often in the 28-32 ft range.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 09:26 AM   #6

The only national park that has not allowed our rig due to size is Glacier. That said, there are RV parks just outside of Glacier that can accommodate large rigs.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:32 PM   #7

If National Parks is a big concern, the shorter rig would be the best choice. If not, the rig with the longest wheel base will provide the best ride.

At the end of the day it is all about floor plan though.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:30 AM   #8

We have a 35 ft coach and get blown by the cross winds. Our wheel base to total leigh ratio is at 48 percent. The consensus is to have the ratio over 50 percent. Much better handling with truck passing you with higher ratio.
daveh5525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 05:55 AM   #9

I don’t think you are going to find any meaningful difference in access to camping spots between the 32SA and 36LA. The 32SA will be a bit more maneuverable because it’s built on the 228 inch wheelbase chassis whereas the 36LA uses the 252 inch chassis so has a larger turning circle. That said I have a Tiffin on the 252 Ford chassis and it’s not been a problem.
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:42 PM   #10

I would say get whichever one you like best. If you must have a washer/dryer, then go with the longer one. Get the stackable type w/d.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a